LegacyGT.com

engine cooling fans test

hello, can someone please confirm this for me. Today I just wanted to see if my cooling fans work, so engine was cold (first morning start and outside temperature was around 40F) I started engine, turned AC on with trans in P opened hood to see fans not spinning. After 30 mile drive checked the same and both fans were now working at slow speed which is normal.

So please in the morning or when your engine is cold, start the engine, turn ac on and check if your cooling fans turn on with AC on.

Mine is 2.5l

Thanks in advance!

Per the Subaru FSM, the radiator fan(s) won't run unless the coolant temperature is above 205 F (96 C) or the A/C refrigerant pressure is above 116 psi (~95 F for R-134a refrigerant). (It's actually a little more complex than that, due to setpoint hysteresis, but those are the minimum temperatures and pressures for fan operation.)

The A/C compressor may even be set in idle mode (i.e. minimum displacement) at ambient temperatures below 37 F (unconfirmed). The AGAS shutters (2.5 engine only) definitely do remain closed below 37 F.

N.B. If you're going to be doing stuff like this yourself, you really need to spring for a (legal) copy of the FSM.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Per the Subaru FSM, the radiator fan(s) won't run unless the coolant temperature is above 205 F (96 C) or the A/C refrigerant pressure is above 116 psi (~95 F for R-134a refrigerant). (It's actually a little more complex than that, due to setpoint hysteresis, but those are the minimum temperatures and pressures for fan operation.)

The A/C compressor may even be set in idle mode (i.e. minimum displacement) at ambient temperatures below 37 F (unconfirmed). The AGAS shutters (2.5 engine only) definitely do remain closed below 37 F.

N.B. If you're going to be doing stuff like this yourself, you really need to spring for a (legal) copy of the FSM.

Thank you for the reply, I am used to alldata and mitchel. I am to be honest disappointed in this original subaru manual, it is not very user friendly or to say organized for easy information search. Did you notice wiring diagrams do not show colors of the wire, only pin numbers. I prefer both like all data and mitchel do pin number with the wire colors.

Did you notice wiring diagrams do not show colors of the wire, only pin numbers.

Wire colors are clearly indicated in my FSM ... circuit traces are both printed in color and labeled as to color.

Besides ... wire colors have nothing to do with your original question.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png