LegacyGT.com

30,000 Mile Service

South Hills Subaru(Pittsburgh Pa) informed me that the 30,000 mile service for my 16 Legacy would be $770. Yep....even though the advertised price is $191 on their website. When I pointed out the advertised price....they said they must have been hacked. I then asked why so expensive and the lady said "because we do lots of stuff".

So I then called Moon Township Subaru(owned by the same company and 15 miles apart) and the quoted me at $270 for the 30,000 mile service.

Any recent experience with this? Seems absurd to me and that Subaru should do better than this. I had to change my battery but otherwise my Legacy runs perfectly and it really is nice in a lot of areas(ride, fuel, comfort, stability). I just hate car dealer bull crap games.

Edited by bester1

$770 sounds like a "take it somewhere else" price to me. Biggest thing is the brake fluid change. Should take an hour to do the 30k service on one car. Thats some serious mark up on fluid and filters lol :D

30,000 mile - replace engine & cabin air filters, brake fluid, and gear fluid as needed, oil and filter change, rotate tires.

When I had my 30K service done in Fayetteville, AR the dealer wanted $260. The Dealer labor rates down here are $100 per hour which may be much lower than in PA or CA or AK which I came from 6 years ago. At that time the Anchorage labor rate was almost $200 an hour. My next service will be the 60K one which will be $660 from the print out they gave me after I asked for a price. Parts will be the same cost everywhere or close, it's the labor cost that will kill you.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up costing $282. Kind of look at it protecting my CVT for another 5 years. Cheap insurance. Inspection revealed no issues with the car. Tires are at 6/32 so it won't be too long before needing replaced.

Again, not an exciting car but reliable, comfortable and safe. 10,000 mile of ownership...I like it.

Tires are at 6/32 so it won't be too long before needing replaced.

10,000 mile of ownership...

Only 6/32 remaining after 10,000 miles is a lotta' wear! My Legacy's tires are at about 6/32 after ~45,000 miles. On the other hand, the tires on our Outback were almost worn out (4/32) at 42,000 miles.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Ended up costing $282. Kind of look at it protecting my CVT for another 5 years. Cheap insurance. Inspection revealed no issues with the car. Tires are at 6/32 so it won't be too long before needing replaced.

Again, not an exciting car but reliable, comfortable and safe. 10,000 mile of ownership...I like it.

Couple of questions:

1. You had your 30k service performed at 10k miles, or is that a typo?

2. Did you have some service performed on the CVT? I didn't think that should be necessary at 30k.

Sorry....I should have been more clear. I bought the 2016 with 20,000 miles. I have put 10,000 miles on it. They inspect it at the 30,000 mile subaru service ripoff. Some suggest this is cheap insurance as the warranty is 10 year, 100,000 miles on the 6th generation cvt.

Tires were not new when I bought it.