LegacyGT.com

My windows froze

- Stiffer door for side impact protection.

- Accident protection from the lack of frame intrusion during impact.

What I don't like is the fact that the top of the glass rest against the rubber seal.

Subaru is not the only one with frameless doors, the corvette, porche and mini have them. Porche and Mini seal the top of the window by having the window go into a channel at the top. How do they open the doors you ask? The windows go down a few millimeters when you pull the door handle. Cool huh?

[quote name=Another suggestion was to pee on the window but on some days in Montreal the pee would probably freeze in mid-flight.

quote]

ah, the proven pee-method - more like when you're drunk and peeing on someone else's car.

The BMW product is called Gummy Fledge.

Nice.

Thats why I brought up the BMW, MINI and Porsche thing. I figure those guys might have come up with solutions to some of the problems Suby drivers face with the frameless design seeing as they use it.:icon_neut

In the January thread to which I referred earlier, someone suggested a lubricant sold at BMW dealerships that prevents the windows from sticking to the surround seals.

The ideal thing to use on the door seals is Silicone spray lubricant, which you can get at Canadian Tire for cheap, and it's probably the same thing that BMW sells for 3x as much. It basically displaces water in the rubber. I spray pretty much all of the rubber around the doors/hood/trunk, and they don't freeze shut all winter (I'm also anal and put graphite lube in all the locks). I think you're right that the windows freezing last week was due to the specific conditions (water than got in there and then froze, which happened to me last week as well), but that happens often enough that I'd like to fix it.

I think the Silicone Lube would probably work there as well, and since it penetrates into the rubber, might not leave streaks. I'll test on a back window and probably forget to report back. I think I'll spray it and leave the windows open for quite a while (overnight in the garage).

On another note, everything you ever wanted to know about windchill:

http://www.msc.ec.gc.ca/education/windchill/index_e.cfm

Andy

Archived