LegacyGT.com

Help - Engine Power loss and engine stutter problem !?!

hus22l

I live in Australia and drive a 1992 n/a 2.2L Legacy Wagon. (completely standard GX Liberty)

I have had problems where the car will shake noticably and I will lose a great deal of power. I basically have to back off the accelerator or pull over as if I keep accelerating over 2.5' revs it will stutter hard and has cut out.

It mostly happens when driving in hot conditions (with air con on - I hardly use it as a result) or high speed where I hit a hill climb and it all seems a bit too much for the old girl.

I have tried upper engine cleaner intermittently (when servicing) but it keeps coming back, my questions are:

- Is the upper engine cleaner the solution?

- If so how often should I be using it?

- Is there any use in increasing the intake (pod filters etc)?

- Is there any use in increasing exhaust flow ( muffler & exhaust pipe upgrades etc.)

I look forward to hearing from anyone that has any info for me.

Thanks.

Sounds to me like she's running rich. carbon build up can bog you down. Try taking apart the air idle speed control and cleaning it with carb cleaner and q-tips. if you look at the throttle body, it will be to the left. unplug the small harness, and take off the two heater hoses. then unbolt the four 10mm bolts (2 ontop 2 on the bottom) careful of the gasket its metal and can be reused if you dont bend it. clean the whole thing up and she should balance out. this unit is similar to an automatic choke on older cars and if it sticks it can cause this problem. I had to do it on my 92 before. PS try a hotter plug too cuse the richness is common on that motor. I run Irridium plugs and now have no prob. Hope it works out.

Archived