LegacyGT.com

start up noise

If there is a metal scratching noise at the moment the engine fires up (at the end of the clicks), does this mean the serpentine belt (or other component) is near the end of life? This noise had been more noticeable in winter times but yesterday I heard it for the first time when temperature was above 60F.

This is a 4th Gen walkthrough.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html?t=218329&highlight=

I did it on my 2.5GT and my 2009 Outback. It is not too bad to do. I would imagine the 3.6R starter is in the same location as the boxer 4, which is on top of the driver side bell housing. I did one of the bell housing bolts from below, the battery connection, electrical connection and top bolt from above. On my GT I removed the IC, on the 2.5i I didn't need to remove anything else.

I second starter. I did mine about 2 years in and it didn't make any more noise until about last year. Simple job and easy to put back together. As you're looking down from the front, It's on the back left (passenger's) side. 2 Bolts holt it in. Two bolts hold the body together. Something like 3 or 4 satellite gears in there. I just used normal high temp lithium grease if I remember right. Pretty hard to mess up if you're at all a do-it-yourself type.