LegacyGT.com

Power steering pump leak

Hi.

Does anyone know if their are aftermarket repair kits for the power steering pumps?

I have the Australian Liberty GT.

I've noticed the US power steering pump part number is different to the Australian part number.

Anyone know anything about this?

I have a power steering pump leak and want to repair with new seals.

I have a spare wrx power steering pump that looks the same but not sure if will have any problems with install.

Sent from my HTC_M10h using Tapatalk

Where is it leaking from, the seals on the ps pump? I did a ps leak fix once and replaced the seals and noticed that air got into the system after replacing the seals. I would notice that the ps fluid would bubble up with the car running in the resevoir when i started the car to bleed the fluid when turning the wheel lock to lock. Turns out that the ps hose lines needed replacing as well because over time the hose hardens and develops cracks in them that cause leaks and improper seal at the hose clamp ends.

I wasnt able to stop air from getting into the system until i replaced the hoses as well. I opted to not buy the oem hose since it has the preformed bends due to being expensive, and bought oil hoses from my local auto store and cut them to length.

Just an fyi if you encounter this problem,,

Edited by abakja1

Where is it leaking from, the seals on the ps pump? I did a ps leak fix once and replaced the seals and noticed that air got into the system after replacing the seals. I would notice that the ps fluid would bubble up with the car running in the resevoir when i started the car to bleed the fluid when turning the wheel lock to lock. Turns out that the ps hose lines needed replacing as well because over time the hose hardens and develops cracks in them that cause leaks and improper seal at the hose clamp ends.

I wasnt able to stop air from getting into the system until i replaced the hoses as well. I opted to not buy the oem hose since it has the preformed bends due to being expensive, and bought oil hoses from my local auto store and cut them to length.

Just an fyi if you encounter this problem,,

I can see it pool up slowly towards the back of the pump.

Hoses looks great. Not hard. Seemed fine.

What seals did you use for the pump?

There are no direct aftermarket kits for it

The main problem is that thicker shaft seal. Not sure what it's called

It might not have enough oompf to it. The Legacy has bigger wheels and is heavier. It'll need more power to turn the wheels especially at slow speeds/stopped. If you use it you might find it goes out quickly.
True

Sunsong indicates they offer a seal kit for the 2010-2012 USDM Legacy (it's their part number 8401607) - Rockauto lists it for $18.25
Oh nice. Thanks for that. Now I just need to know if there is a big difference between the usdm and Australian Liberty/legacy pumps. Rarely I see part numbers different between our cars.

Legacy complete pump part numbers shows as either :

34430AJ021

34430AJ020

34430AJ030

34430AJ031

AUS Liberty complete pump shows part numbers as:

34430AJ011

34430AJ010

Maybe it's just a matter of bracket or fitment cause right hand and left hand drive cars. The internal parts has to be the same. I cant see any reason for them using different internals.

Edited by Libacy GT