LegacyGT.com

Difficulty shifting into gears 5MT

2005 LGT Wagon 5MT with Kartboy short shifter and bushing combo. They have been installed almost 4 years. Their normal functioning required slightly more effort than stock, but it wasn't too bad.

Recently, it is getting harder/notchier to shift into gears. It takes significantly more effort to get the shifter into a gear. My wife rarely drives the car, but the last time she tried, she couldn't get it in first. I make more of an effort to make sure the clutch is fully pressed in lately too.

In searching, I came across this thread with similar issue. This thread pointed out a part to inspect called "Joint Complete-Gear Shift"

part number 35046AG000

This Turn In Concepts bushing set and this complete assembly from Turn in also came up in research.

Has anyone else had similar problem and able to correct it by replacing this part with OEM or with the TIC 5MT lever pivot bushings? The past post also suggested looking at the adjustment of the clutch pedal.

turn-in-concepts-linkage-update-subaru-wrx-5mt-1997-2005_large.jpg.33c4a33c0f534ef1569231aeb12faf65.jpg

Edited by ashwinearl

I also have a 2005 5MT with Kartboy short shifter and bearings. I just bought the car used, so I'm not too familiar with everything that happened, but I have noticed it getting harder to shift into gears. Even pushing the clutch all the way in, I grinded into 2nd gear the other day. Let me know of your findings.

how many miles on the car / clutch?

also if you start the car in gear, is there any bucking?

156k miles on car. I do not know the age or type of clutch. I bought it used at 70k and have not changed anything on it. Someone commented that it seemed like it was stiffer what a stock one felt like.

It chatters a little when cold, but goes away after a bit.

Well before you go replacing that bit, cuz working on that area isn't really super fun, try spraying it with a spray lubricant like tri-flow. It's like wd-40 but way way better. Could probably try wd-40 too. Thought being that if it's binding (which would cause difficulty shifting due to wear I'd think) it should get easier to shift and then you'll know. If it doesn't change anything then you'll know not to replace it. Triflow also doesn't seem to attract dirt and gum up over time like wd-40 and it's used for bicycles and shouldn't mess with any bushings if that's not the problem.

Also how's your transmission fluids? Maybe they could need a change. Or possibly if your clutch pressure plate is wearing out, it's not fully disengaging and so you're kinda jamming it into gear.

I'd start with the easiest cheapest thing first if no one has better ideas. Crawl under there and visually inspect the shift linkage and lubricate to make sure it's not binding. Then transmission fluids. The clutch replacement (it's probably the original anyway and needed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk