LegacyGT.com

Cam seals still leaking after I replaced all 4

I have replaced my pcv valve and im still getting oil coming out of my timing belt cover. Last time I pulled the cover off I looks like the oil is being flung onto the timing belt case and dripping down, timing belt did not seem to have much oil on it.

What are most common problems for excessive crank case pressure? Or would it be a problem with my heads?

Setup is a EJ20x longblock with USDM intake. Exhaust AVCS not plugged in due to the USDM harness not having the connectors.

I had all 4 of my Felpro cam seals leak when I did my build this spring. I put in some genuine Subaru cam seals and I haven't had an issue since. There was a visual difference in the make up of the seals and the Subaru seal looked like a superior design over the Felpros. Oddly enough, the Subaru seals were cheaper... I hardly ever see cheaper OEM parts vs aftermarket.

Got any info on the car? What year, miles, how did your issues unravel...?

I believe bad/worn piston rings could mean excessive crank case pressure.

Were your cam seals genuine and did you install them flush?

When I bought the JDM motor (33K miles on motor is what they said....) I had the guy do a compression test and the videos he sent me all said 160 (ej20x) but when I changed plugs I did a compression and the all said 140 after 10k miles.

I might do a leak down test myself

The direction of the PCV valve has to be correct too. It shall bleed pressure from the engine into the manifold/intake but block any flow into the crankcase.

Off of the valve/metal nipple small line to the back of the intake right?

I have the Perrin inlet and the back side of the pcv plastic T thing goes into my turbo inlet. Then down a hose into the top of the crank case.

PCV valve rattles and holds air from going back in to the crank case.

I had all 4 of my Felpro cam seals leak when I did my build this spring. I put in some genuine Subaru cam seals and I haven't had an issue since. There was a visual difference in the make up of the seals and the Subaru seal looked like a superior design over the Felpros. Oddly enough, the Subaru seals were cheaper... I hardly ever see cheaper OEM parts vs aftermarket.

Got any info on the car? What year, miles, how did your issues unravel...?

It is a JDM EJ20X longblock with my USDM intake and electronics. With these motors they come with the exhaust AVCS which I do not have plugged in becuase i do not have that plug on my wiring harness.

08 LGT 135K Blow motor at 114k twinscroll turbo setup

Off of the valve/metal nipple small line to the back of the intake right?

I have the Perrin inlet and the back side of the pcv plastic T thing goes into my turbo inlet. Then down a hose into the top of the crank case.

PCV valve rattles and holds air from going back in to the crank case.

OK, then all is good with that one.

453747.png

Is there another one that Im not aware of? Also do the AVCS pulleys ever leak?

They do have orings inside to seal them up, so they could leak. I think I've seen write ups on rebuilding them...

If it's leaking, you should be able to see some oil in the seams of the pulley, where the pieces of the sprocket/pulley comes together (where the aluminum piece bolts to the black pulley).

When my cam seals were leaking, I could see the leak on the outside rear of the black timing belt cover. I could also see evidence of leaks inside the timing belt cover.

How much oil is leaking and how often? Keep an eye on that timing belt, so it doesn't become compromised by the oil.