LegacyGT.com

Clutch issue

And the winner is ....

It was not a broken clutch fork, or pushed through. The fork is fine. the ball broke. It appears it was either not seated against the trans case, or it worked its way out a couple threads and snapped off. I'm going to drill it out and use a EZlock insert. I bought the verus kit with the new ball.

That left lower bellhousing nut? Yeah I had to pull the axle and use a big A^% breaker bar through the wheel opening and a nut extractor to break it loose and wouldn't you know it, it was cross threaded too. The whole stud came out.

So I have to order the new studs, drill and tap that case and hopefully put this thing together again.

The reason I do my own work.....Morons like the guy that did this clutch.

IMG_4572.jpg.0653cdd8f734fe95d9dd4bed13ac4c31.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg.e0a630e632f45220fb0930b36d2533c3.jpg

IMG_4574.jpg.8aa109040f0e5596777c0e961b628dd2.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg.fcc883397e17269ff6ffd970a37514a2.jpg

And the winner is ....

It was not a broken clutch fork, or pushed through. The fork is fine. the ball broke. It appears it was either not seated against the trans case, or it worked its way out a couple threads and snapped off. I'm going to drill it out and use a EZlock insert. I bought the verus kit with the new ball.

That left lower bellhousing nut? Yeah I had to pull the axle and use a big A^% breaker bar through the wheel opening and a nut extractor to break it loose and wouldn't you know it, it was cross threaded too. The whole stud came out.

So I have to order the new studs, drill and tap that case and hopefully put this thing together again.

The reason I do my own work.....Morons like the guy that did this clutch.

Son of a bitch. Nothing worse than taking your car apart and finding out that some prick who you paid good money to fix your car did a sloppy job. Especially when it comes to things like cross-threading fasteners. Come on. That’s serious amateur stuff. I haven’t cross-threaded a fastener in two decades since I was taught how to avoid it.

Glad you’ve finally got the thing’s number and have got a plan to get it working again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Son of a bitch. Nothing worse than taking your car apart and finding out that some prick who you paid good money to fix your car did a sloppy job. Especially when it comes to things like cross-threading fasteners. Come on. That’s serious amateur stuff. I haven’t cross-threaded a fastener in two decades since I was taught how to avoid it.

Glad you’ve finally got the thing’s number and have got a plan to get it working again.

No doubt.

Cross threading is what happens when you use air tools to reassemble things. :spin:

I find it hard to trust other mechanics. I only trust 2 places, one of them is friends of my family (a bit far from me), and the other is local to me and did a great job on my truck when I had it...

No doubt.

Cross threading is what happens when you use air tools to reassemble things. :spin:

Air tools to assemble things? Do you wanna get cut? ‘cause that’s how you get cut!

Heh. Not really. You can use smaller things like an electric or air ratchet. Just start them by hand so you know they’re lined up.

Air tools to assemble things? Do you wanna get cut? ‘cause that’s how you get cut!

Heh. Not really. You can use smaller things like an electric or air ratchet. Just start them by hand so you know they’re lined up.

Granted …. I'm not a flat rate mechanic, just a guy in his driveway ... but I've found the safest way to prevent an issue is to use hand tools. Then you can feel if it binds before you do any damage. It sure is frustrating to deal with this.

Edited by poconoracing
content

Granted …. I'm not a flat rate mechanic, just a guy in his driveway ... but I've found the safest way to prevent an issue is to use hand tools. Then you can feel if it binds before you do any damage. It sure is frustrating to deal with this.

Oh, you’re definitely right.

Got some time today to work on the broken fork pivot.

Drilled it out, tapped it and inserted an ezlok M8 insert with red locktite.

Let that set up and then threaded in the new pivot, torqued to 12 ftlbs

Set the TSK3 snout sleeve and set screws with blue locktite.

Greased her all up good and installed the Verus clutch fork and oversized release bearing.

So far so good.

IMG_4589.thumb.jpg.94412f58c673c68ca23ecdb64c10a146.jpg

IMG_4591.thumb.jpg.53530d264abfeb3143b1db72d1e87aee.jpg

IMG_4592.thumb.jpg.abc8fc3c45aa58525113ec2f0756da49.jpg

59166799568__2D3A574E-C75E-473F-85EC-820F5ED51460.thumb.JPG.9dd750311724e712d27adfb9fcc4fc36.JPG

Edited by poconoracing
details

The boot went back on with a little convincing.

I put the back of it in first, because it was behind the fork and I couldn't get to it. I then pulled the front down from inside the bellhousing and it seated all the way around

• 2 weeks later...

One a side note. The impact wobbler I was talking about is this. It definitely gives up some torque with some spring or something inside. - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-2-in-Drive-Impact-Swivel-Adapter/1000545635?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-pla-_-216-_-soshandtools-_-1000545635-_-0&cm_mmc=src-_-c-_-prd-_-tol-_-google-_-tools-_-PLA_TOL_Tools_High+Priority-_--_-0-_-0&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3JXtBRC8ARIsAEBHg4kA_o0W2JMPAoBwY6wAOba1Ix4FgKYiqPsJvY_o_Ue_Vcrjd4DTa6gaAv-NEALw_wcB

I tried this too - https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1-4-3-8-1-2-in-Drive-Impact-Universal-Joint-Set-3-Piece-4964/205848265?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-HandTools_PLA&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-25_1_HAND_TOOLS-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-HandTools_PLA-71700000034127224-58700003933021546-92700031755124841&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3JXtBRC8ARIsAEBHg4l4AAmYzAoLwBqA4s8kVUEOEBnY63DVUihZwfRtgfuIzBFlJ-xXSPEaAjKBEALw_wcB

With no luck. It definitely got more torque to the nut, and ultimately rounded it. requiring an extractor like this with the axle out and a 42 or so inch breaker bar.

The axle removal required the rotor, caliper bracket, strut bolts, the end link and the tie rod end to be removed. The axle came out with a tug from the trans and no fluid leaked out. With it out I put the breaker bar out the opening where the axle was and got a good bite on that damn but.

https://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Impact-Bolt-Remover-pieces/dp/B01JDNIYPW

Edited by poconoracing