LegacyGT.com

Shifting into reverse is difficult

Hi,

New here and just picked up an 06 LGT 5MT lastnight. So far, I find it difficult to get into reverse. Its impossible unless I mess around with the shifter and go into 1st, 2nd, then reverse. Also noticed that when I pull the right stick coming out of the steering wheel to spray and wipe the windshield, no fluid comes out. However, if I press the button on the end of that "stick", it works. Thought that was strange. I haven't had a chance to read the manual yet, but if anyone can share their thoughts on this, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Thats the way the wiper washer works..

Button on the end is for washing, pulling the lever towards you is for 'mist', like when it's raining, but not enough to turn on the wipers.

As for the gear thing... Dunno, never heard that one.

Is the car at a full and complete stop when you try and shift into R?

(dumb question I know) I know that some MT's can be hard to get into First gear..this can be solved by blipping the throttle, might give that a try.

You can try letting the clutch fully out and then putting it in and then try to get into reverse again. Usually works for me.

I'm pretty sure that's how the wiper fluid works. Gotta press the button (at least on my '05)

Washer works like that.

Reverse gets easier as time goes by. I don't even think about reverse anymore. When I first got it it wa a PITA!

Two sure signs that you are a n00b is asking the two questions that you just did. Been there, done that! :icon_bigg

Good luck with the new car, and RTM!!!!

X

---

I'm a complete n00b with these cars :)

Its my first Subaru but hopefully not my last. What is that mist that Drakuun is talking about? I don't get anything when I pull the lever. Only when I push the button do I get the spray mist thing for the wipers.

-John

Mist, Very light rain, actual precipitation, the word "mist" has nothing to do with washing the windshield in this application. :)

Or conversely, say you're driving along, and a car splashes water on your windshield from a puddle. Pull lever forward = water is gone, and you don't have to flip on your wipers to do it.

Yeah I know, flip towards, flip down, it's a flip either way, when you use the mist thing you don't have to turn off the wipers though. :)

Yup pull the stalk to wipe the windshield one time...push the button to wash!

As for reverse....clutch the car...select 1st for a second (No need to let the clutch out, just select 1st gear) THEN select reverse. It should pop right into gear. Works every time for me.

Congrats on the car...you will love it!

What Vahkil said about shifting to reverse. FWIW, I find it easy on my LGT.

Just RTFM for the rest. :)

Hi,

New here and just picked up an 06 LGT 5MT lastnight. So far, I find it difficult to get into reverse. Its impossible unless I mess around with the shifter and go into 1st, 2nd, then reverse. Also noticed that when I pull the right stick coming out of the steering wheel to spray and wipe the windshield, no fluid comes out. However, if I press the button on the end of that "stick", it works. Thought that was strange. I haven't had a chance to read the manual yet, but if anyone can share their thoughts on this, it'd be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Archived