LegacyGT.com

Possible engine swap questions

Alright so I have a 99 legacy, its the 2nd gen body style before they went to the next so don't freak out. Still a second gen. It has a 5 spd with the phase 2 ej22.

My wife had a auto 2001 outback with a dual port ej251.

Long story short i want to swap it.

Just need some tips and info on any special things I'm gonna need to do the swap. Also since the motor on hers was mated to a auto what changes do I need to make to get it to fit on my 5 spd.

This is going to be a long term build for me but I want to make sure it's doable before I start blowing money on the ej251

Since you are swapping into a car that is already a manual there is not much you need to do to your engine, in fact as long as the transmission and everything mate properly (which I see no reason why it wouldn't) then the only thing you might need is a guide on your timing belt. The automatics are so sluggish that they did not come with a guide over the crank gear which prevents your belt from skipping a tooth. Easy fix, just remove the timing cover and install the guide, there should be some unused bolt holes above your crank gear. Maybe the 2001 ej251 came with it but my ej25d from a 98 lgt that was an auto did not have the guide.