LegacyGT.com

clunk from front suspension after cusco sway?

mmm def

Will do. I have gone through most of the suspension a couple of times now, but I haven't checked that. I'm pretty frustrated, and plan on taking the Cusco FSB out this weekend. I want to eliminate variables, and put the stock back in to see if the problem is still there. I can't handle the clunking anymore, and it's embarrassing to have people in the car with it making all those bad noises.

the clunk will go away with the stock fsb. the problem is loose bushings, well its not that the bushings are loose, its b/c like 1/4 " of the bushing rests on the curved part of the sway bar so it makes the rest loose. i will be reinstalling mine this summer with narrower bushings to see if that works. right now i'm running just the rear and its silent.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does it hurt to just install the rear sways then? will the front really make that much of a difference. i don't want to deal with any annoying clunking sounds as I drive my car 85% of the time for work. :( but i'm autocrossing this season and need better suspension.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Thus far, I have no issues with the RSB.

Nate, that is a good point about the bushings resting on the bend in the bar, I noticed that on install. I wonder if the bushings are borked now, or if I could try and recess them with the magic dremal tool?

It can't be this hard to make a freakin sway bar work right. Maybe i'll sell Cusco and try the Cobb now. At least they will still both be blue!

does it hurt to just install the rear sways then? will the front really make that much of a difference. i don't want to deal with any annoying clunking sounds as I drive my car 85% of the time for work. :( but i'm autocrossing this season and need better suspension.

This seems to be a problem not everyone has. Installing the rear alone won't hurt anything. I feel the front sway does make a big differnance on turn in. It also helps control front body roll, keeping the tire flat on contact patch to improve corner traction. I've noticed very little outer edge wear on the tires since the FSB went in. I really like the way the car handles with both in. BUT THE CLUNKING SUCKS ARSE!

just checked it out on cobb's website, they're bars are out, and look sick. I like the reinforcment parts for the rear. maybe i'll switch over to cobb. anyone want some cusco swaybars. front and rear????

heard the same about the whiteline.

my stock rsb clunks on my rear control arm during hard acceleration. (lowered iON springs)

Thanks for the reply. I've iON springs like Han'sGT but I haven't noticed any clunking under hard acceleration and was wandering if I got the larger AVO or JDM bar should I just get the adjustable endlinks too?

Okay Gang, just so we aren't out there repeating ourselves, here is what I tried this afternoon. This is going on the premise that the Cusco FSB is too narrow, and "prys" open the bushing creating slop. So, I trimmed the bushings. While I was at it, I also put hose clamps to prevent the bar from sliding. This did NOT fix the problem. I think my endlinks are toast. Next stop, ordering some rod ends to build my own adjustable front links.

212624041_Carfacetv004.jpg.be6b9072168df8c966f40803b9bbbc3e.jpg

315401435_Carfacetv011.jpg.be37ae06c36090c4cf66cc03c1ef9f9b.jpg

1872041196_Carfacetv012.jpg.571b84cab9172e47e4efd095d429d7a5.jpg

Juxta,

After your experience, would you recommend the Cobb FSB vs. the Cusco? Also, you mention bushings, what type do you think would work better?

I have no problems with the COBB FSB at all.

I do have a clearance issue with my COBB RSB (like the clearance problems others have had with other RSBs) but that is solveable with longer end-links.

Anybody know where I can get longer RSB end-links?

Thanks for the reply. I've iON springs like Han'sGT but I haven't noticed any clunking under hard acceleration and was wandering if I got the larger AVO or JDM bar should I just get the adjustable endlinks too?

no problems so far with cusco front or rear sway bar. my stock rsb clunked. I'm thinking it wasn't mounted just right or the endlinks or supports were loose.

Juxta,

After your experience, would you recommend the Cobb FSB vs. the Cusco? Also, you mention bushings, what type do you think would work better?

Given the choice right now to start again, I'd get the Cobb set I think. If the new endlinks stops the clunk, and it is for sure that broken endlink bearings are my noise..... Then it may be a matter of time before Cobb FSB owners have the same problem.

I do think the Cobb bars are a little softer, which would have been okay by me. The grease fittings are a welcome touch, so is the RSB reinforcement bracket, which I'll be ordering shortly. I just think the Cobb is a better thought-out and engineered set. Had I known I was only a month or two away, I would have waited.

I will say, the Cusco set feels very balanced, and I have zero issues with how the car handles. Only things on the road that has ever kept up on the mountain twisties was a miata clearly set up for auto-x/track, and other subarus....

• 4 weeks later...

All,

I installed my Cobb rsb last weekend. Overall very impressed. Recently however I have noticed a definite "clunk" that was not there before. It seems to only occur when I am on the "goind down" side of a large (~5 feet wide) speed bump.

Basically going straight over the bump, and coming down (5-10 mph), the rear seems to clunk as I bottom out (not literally, buit when the suspension reaches the lowest point of its travel)

Anyone had this type of trouble? I haven't had a chance to get under the car and look again (i first noticed last night), so I suppose something could have come loose. I'm not sure however.

--james

The COBB bars are likely a little bit stiffer then the CUSCOs.

As far as the rear clunking, check out this thread. You will get have to ghet a new RSB from COBB when they come out.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/suspension-brakes/37377-cobb-sway-problems-getting.html

The COBB bars are likely a little bit stiffer then the CUSCOs.

As far as the rear clunking, check out this thread. You will get have to ghet a new RSB from COBB when they come out.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/suspension-brakes/37377-cobb-sway-problems-getting.html

Cusco (figures from posted “solid bar” chart...not sure of the accuracy)

Fr. 23mm (solid) 44% stiffer than stock

R. 21mm (solid) 197% stiffer than stock

Cobb (figures from Cobb’s site)

Fr. 25.5mm (hollow)...bigger so more potential for rubbing.

50% stiffer than stock

R. 22.4mm (hollow w/ two settings)...bigger so more potential for rubbing

Over stock bar....195% on “soft” setting and 215% on hard setting.

1549533297_Swaybarchart.jpg.456f1e61e28ced5f3e8462100ee7ea0e.jpg

Cusco (figures from posted “solid bar” chart...not sure of the accuracy)

Fr. 23mm (solid) 44% stiffer than stock

R. 21mm (solid) 197% stiffer than stock

Cobb (figures from Cobb’s site)

Fr. 25.5mm (hollow)...bigger so more potential for rubbing.

50% stiffer than stock

R. 22.4mm (hollow w/ two settings)...bigger so more potential for rubbing

Over stock bar....195% on “soft” setting and 215% on hard setting.

Thanks, I knew they were close, and I was fairly sure COBB's were a bit stiffer. I don't think it is noticeable though.

The light weight aspect of COBB's bars and their rear stiffener is what makes it a winner.

• 2 months later...

So I installed the Cobb Front Sway bar this past weekend and now I'm hearing the "clunk" that everyone is experiencing. I thought that people weren't having this issue with the Cobb?

So it seems like the culprit may be the bushings? Has anyone tried switching out their bushings? I bought my front sway used and it didn't seem to have much wear and tear on the bushings. Could it be the endlinks then?

Just my $0.02. My Cusco FSB only clunked when my front endlink was loose. I tightened it and it went away. Another local LGT forum member had the same clunking and it was a loose endlink.

I used grease on the bushings (standard Valvoline grease for suspension components). I don't know if I was supposed to do that or not, but I did.

I thought Juxta mentioned that it "helped." I think it has something to do with the fact that the Cusco and Cobb sway bars are narrower than the stock sway bars. This means that the endlinks are more angled than stock.

Since there is a ball on each end of the endlink, the endlink is a 2 force member. The load vector is in the same orientation as the endlink. A load on the endlink will mean that there is a side to side load applied to the swaybar. I believe the sound you are hearing is the swaybar moving to one side and then popping back to its original position.

This can be caused by many things. Maybe loose endlinks or too much play in the endlinks ball or maybe the hole in the swaybar is so big that the flat surface on the endlink pushed through partially in the hole?

I don't have the stock endlinks on the car anymore. I switched over to the MSI endlinks. I added enough washers to bring the total width back to stock, but the endlinks are still not vertical.

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed cobb front and rear sway bars, and, although the car handles much much better, I am experiencing certain creaking sounds when pulling into my driveway or driving over uneven roads etc. I wouldn't categorize it as a clunk. It's really just creaking or squeaking or something along those lines. Everything is greased up very well and nothing appears to be lose. The noise does not occur when turning sharply or quickly but just when going over bumps, train tracks, etc. Most of the time I have the music on and don't hear the creaking anyway... I just hope nothing is wrong.

Seems like no real solution has been found yet...?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Cobb RSB. I installed Avo endlinks about 3 weeks ago.

Now all of a sudden the 'clunking' noise started only from the left side.

I checked it and it is definitely not loose.

I noticed a thread for Cobb's support brackes.

Does anyone know if these brackets will alleviate the clunking?

They are about $170.00. So they are a little pricey. But it may be worth it to me if it solves the problem :icon_bigg

Is there another 'Fix'?

Megan header,Perrin TMIC, TD06-20G,AEM CAI, Lachute DP, Avo BOV, BC Coilovers, Magnaflow catback, Hawk HPS pads, Stoptech lines, Snow WI

Archived