LegacyGT.com

Legacy struts with Outback springs

Hi all

I currently have an EUDM Outback 3.0R with SL suspension. The car has done 140 000 miles and would benefit from a suspension overhaul. I would start up front, but want it to be an upgrade.

I know I can just order an Outback specifiek Bilstein set from Japan, but chances are it would not meet Belgian laws due to the springs. I was therefore wondering if I could use B6 shocks from Bilstein suited for a Legacy?

Not as: yes, they will fit, but more: will it work, will I retain the ride-height etc.

Thanks

T.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure about the other markets, but JDM and USDM legacy struts have their lower spring perch at a lower point on the Legacy strut compared to an Outback strut. So you'll lose some ride height from that. Stock Legacy vs Outback springs - I have no idea about stock spring length comparisons.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I can just order an Outback specifiek Bilstein set from Japan, but chances are it would not meet Belgian laws due to the springs.

Wow, they are going to bug you for putting perhaps better springs?? And how will they be able to tell the difference? The BTS kit will even have the 'subaru outback' sticker on the shock body itself.

Welcome to Belgium. Car-tuning is almost impossible, and springs are seen as tuning. If the springs don't have a certificate that they meet Belgian law (which most lowering or HD springs don't have), your car will fail it's tech inspection. Even more so, your insurance can deny covering you in case of an accident.