LegacyGT.com

2012 Legacy w/2013 Struts > Which Springs?

Today I ordered the KYB struts for a 2013 Legacy for my 2012 Legacy 2.5. The 2013 struts are a little stiffer I am told. I'm replacing other related parts including springs possibly. I want to keep the stock ride height and am wondering if I should go with the 2012 or 2013 springs. They have different part numbers. The weight difference between the EJ and FB motors probably accounts for this. Does anyone have any experience or other information on this?

Thanks for the quick responses.

Val- Yes, for the money, I don't see a reason not to go OEM on those things. Thanks.

Dr- I just checked the weight difference between the 2012 and 2013 cars and see they are very close, even with the new motor. I was concerned that there would be more of a difference and the stiffer 2013 springs would make it sit higher in the front. So, I will go with the 2013 springs. Interestingly, they are even less expensive than the ones for the 2012. Thanks for the confirmation that it's a good combination.

I replaced stock 2010 LGT springs and struts with KYB struts and 2013 3.6R springs. They're a little stiffer and still OEM height. It now feels like a sport sedan should from the factory.

I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading your rear sway bar while you're in there. A used or new oem rear bar from a WRX can be had for cheap and it makes a huge improvement on the freeway and when cornering.

Val, thanks for that link. If I would have read that a while back it would have answered a number of my questions. I replaced the front control arms on this car about two years ago and I went with the OE arms. Now the big rear bushings on those are cracking again already. Next time I'll try the Mevoteks I think.

Sarang, thanks for the tip on the sway bar. That may be the next phase sometime.

The last thing I have to figure out yet is the part number of the outer CV joint boot for the front. Perhaps I am missing something, but no place I've checked has a definite listing for the part. My best guess is 28323AG020, but I get conflicting references.