LegacyGT.com

Electronic Parking Brake Error - Brakes Locked Up

I had to have my car towed today because on the dash the park indicator was blinking and the Brake indicator was solid, with messages Eyesight Off Check Manual and Electronic Parking Brake Check Owner's Manual. The Electronic brake button by the shifter wasn't necessarily lit, I restarted the car and tried the button, and sometimes it was on and sometime off, but the dash indicators were the same.

I saw there was a recall specific to the 2015 model year. Has anyone with a 2016 or newer ever experienced this? Anyone, in any year who experienced this, what was the result, and was it resolved swiftly?

Since it isn't a recall for the 2016 year, how do I report it to have it registered?

I had to have my car towed today because on the dash the park indicator was blinking and the Brake indicator was solid, with messages Eyesight Off Check Manual and Electronic Parking Brake Check Owner's Manual. The Electronic brake button by the shifter wasn't necessarily lit, I restarted the car and tried the button, and sometimes it was on and sometime off, but the dash indicators were the same.

I saw there was a recall specific to the 2015 model year. Has anyone with a 2016 or newer ever experienced this? Anyone, in any year who experienced this, what was the result, and was it resolved swiftly?

Since it isn't a recall for the 2016 year, how do I report it to have it registered?

It was for 2010-2014 models and only with the manual transmission. When I was getting the head unit replaced a few days ago, another person had this issue fixed and I overheard the tech explaining it. Didn’t catch the price.

The first day I drove my 2016 I bought used, the car locked up like you said. I was in the city, after seeing a basketball game, and tried to pull out of the parking space and the wheels were locked.

Needless to say I was stranded on the side of a busy road in Boston unsure what to do. I was eventually able to get it to disengage after about 20 minutes of trying everything.

In my case, one of the connectors for the EPB was loose and that caused the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had this happen 3 times since new. I took a video of it, sent it to my friend (who's a Subie Tech) and he said he's not seen it before. Same thing... On the dash, Park will blink, Brake will be solid and Parking Brake light doesn't show that it's lit. I pull the brake switch and it engages slightly, like a fast sound. Push the brake button down and nothing. I have to restart the car and then push the brake button down and it works. - I parked my car in the garage, got out, and when I was opening the door to my house, I heard the Parking Brake engage on it's own... Stupid F'ing electronics...

I've had this happen 3 times since new. I took a video of it, sent it to my friend (who's a Subie Tech) and he said he's not seen it before. Same thing... On the dash, Park will blink, Brake will be solid and Parking Brake light doesn't show that it's lit. I pull the brake switch and it engages slightly, like a fast sound. Push the brake button down and nothing. I have to restart the car and then push the brake button down and it works. - I parked my car in the garage, got out, and when I was opening the door to my house, I heard the Parking Brake engage on it's own... Stupid F'ing electronics...

I agree -- and using the parking brake on ice, you can't swing the back end around into a parking spot either!