LegacyGT.com

Clutch pedal tension force required adjustment

Is there is a way to adjust the force required to push my clutch pedal?

Is there a spec or test for what is "normal"?

My left leg doesn't like driving stop and go with my Legacy 07 manual wagon. My other car is a Focus 12 manual and it takes a lot less force on the pedal.

Maybe this has been discussed and I am using the wrong search terms?

Thanks

George

Pedal effort is associated with the pressure plate. If you have an upgraded from stock clutch, chances are your clamping load is much higher which increases pedal effort. If has gotten harder to push in the clutch then you have an issue, possibly with the throw-out bearing.

No, clutch pedal pressure is not adjustable without modifying the hydraulic system or changing to a clutch with a lighter pressure plate.

Pedal pressure varies widely by vehicle. Stock LGT clutches have heavy-ish pedals. The Clutchmasters setup in mine uses a lighter pressure plate (because Kevlar disc) and therefore has a good bit lighter pedal than stock. Still, when I get in my Miata that clutch feels so feather-light by comparison that it takes a second to get used to it.

I know that we are supposed to like to clutch and shift. That's why we like these cars. As I get older maybe I am fussier and I don't have the strength I once had, but the comparison with my Focus made me ask. The Focus has as well as the "softer" clutch, a really nice action on the 5-speed. The Subie feels like the linkage is not as tight. The Focus is also 6 years newer and 200K less km.

I accept that clutch pedal pressure is not adjustable. Thanks for the insight.

Electric cars and automatics don't have this problem.

The Focus has as well as the "softer" clutch, a really nice action on the 5-speed. The Subie feels like the linkage is not as tight. The Focus is also 6 years newer and 200K less km.

Subie shift lever is connected to a rod that runs externally to the transmission, and the rod connects to a U-joint type piece at the other end. This sort of linkage system feels inherently less direct than the trans on, say, a Miata, which is basically a one-piece rod connecting the shift knob to the control shaft inside the trans. The Subie also has multiple rubber bushings in the linkage that develop slop over time. Replacing those bushings will tighten up the feel quite a bit.

It has been a long time, 6-7 years since I did them so the memory is fuzzy. There may be one accessible from the console inside the car, but the one at the back of the trans requires crawling underneath. I think you need to drop the heat shield, but I don't recall if the driveshaft has to be dropped as well. This is a popular procedure so search the forum and/or youtube for walkthroughs.