LegacyGT.com

Ball joint removal rly difficult

I posted this question in my popping noise thread but i figured it would be easy to miss.

So i have no problems freeing the ball joint from the control arm, but i can only get it so far out of the knuckle and no further.

Ive seen some people make a tool for that, but that requires access to a drill or drill press, which i dont...

I was wondering if a something like the snap on wheel puller set(such as the harborfreight version) would work?

Any other suggestions would be nice.

Thanks

I've found that a slide hammer works really well. Using the hub attachment is a little odd since it's only 1 nut instead of 3, but it works the same way. I also use a chisel to spread the knuckle open a little bit but be careful not to go too far or you'll need a new knuckle.

...and be CAREFUL. I take no responsibility, blah, blah.

Yeah i tried something similar where i got a breaker bar and a long hollow pipe and did that, and then tried to apply more torque, but i was able to only get it so far..

I mean ill try again. But idk

My idea now is to afix a wheel puller and maybe that will kinda serve the same way the bolt holes do on the brake rotors?

I'm getting myself one of these. I'm sure it'd work better if I had air tools, but work with what ya got...

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-78620-Subaru/dp/B01JBJFK3C

Oh that looks rly nice

Update i got that mfer out... After jacking the control arm up abd wedging sonething in between that and the knuckle at least 2o timea... I finally was able to get an angle to get a chisel and a hammer and beat down from the top... It sounded like it didnt want to come out... But it did.

Cleaned up the inside really well, got all the rust and debris gone and was able to seat the new one in without a problem.

Thanks for the input everyone

I also use a chisel to spread the knuckle open a little bit but be careful not to go too far or you'll need a new knuckle.

Chisel, big hammer, and a pry bar works for Turbo Yoda:

6:34

I'm in the process of doing mine. The driver side took a ton of work. I bought a 3' crowbar and two pickle forks. I was able to get the top part out by prying on the control arm and had to use a ball joint press to get it out of the LCA. The passenger side came out no problem with the crowbar and a pickle fork on the LCA side.

• 9 months later...