LegacyGT.com

15' 3.6R Legacy H6 Oil Consumption

I'm About 2k into the most recent oil change, in regards to the H6 engine, are they known to burn through oil?

I don’t have any visible leaks, seepage or burning smell. Checked it this morning just randomly and the dipstick measured oil at slightly above the low point. Car was leveled on the street.

I just wanted to know if these engines are normally like this. Only twice has the light ever marked me with low oil and immediately I pulled over and added a quart due to it being around the 5k.

Just recently had the CVT transmission oil pump resealed due to it leaking.

Is this common for other owners?

I'm About 2k into the most recent oil change, in regards to the H6 engine, are they known to burn through oil?

I don’t have any visible leaks, seepage or burning smell. Checked it this morning just randomly and the dipstick measured oil at slightly above the low point. Car was leveled on the street.

I just wanted to know if these engines are normally like this. Only twice has the light ever marked me with low oil and immediately I pulled over and added a quart due to it being around the 5k.

Just recently had the CVT transmission oil pump resealed due to it leaking.

Is this common for other owners?

So many opinions on this.. Some say they never lose a drop between changes others say they do.. My case I bought my 15' brand new change my synthetic oil regularly at the dealer on a 5k interval and notice between 500 and 1k miles before the 5k mark I might be close to the Low Line.. I really don't drive hard but mostly freeway miles and I'm at 110k... Hope this helps answer your question.. Just check it regularly when its stone cold..[emoji120]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Our 2005 Outback XT went through a quart every 1500 miles or so after 130k. Our other subies (2016 and 2017) do not burn oil. But our 2017 Legacy 2.5i seems to vary in how much oil drains to the pain ... even after hours of sitting on the level, some nights it's near the middle, some near the top.

I can't say that I've heard of the H6 commonly having oil consumption issues; but a friend with a Tribeca (3.0 H6) did. Turned out to be a cracked head.

The h6s will consume, some less than others..mine is very little...some have failed Subaru consumption tests and gotten a new short block

The recommended weight by Subaru is 5w30...they don't handle it well and often sheer it to 5w20, Which is where the consumption can come from

If you want to try you can use a 5w40 weight full synthetic which the 3.6R motors greatly prefer. Blackstone approves as well

I'm running 5w40 n lose maybe 1/2 quart per 5000 miles..i have 143k on my car now

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

The recommended weight by Subaru is 5w30...they don't handle it well.If you want to try you can use a 5w40 weight full synthetic which the 3.6R motors greatly prefer.

I'm not saying you are definitely wrong .... but I am saying that I find it odd that if 3.6R engines "don't handle 5w30 well" and "greatly prefer 5w40" that Subaru engineers would not have also come to that conclusion. It would certainly be in their interest to do so, if that was in fact the case. :confused:

Archived