LegacyGT.com

Which Spark Plugs

Searched but not found... Which are the correct or *recommended* spark plugs? Both of my Legacys need them replaced. Both are stock no mods.

09 Legacy 2.5 GT

08 Legacy 2.5i

Edited by 59ctd

Thanks guys. I knew that OEM calls for the NGK plugs and I generally prefer NGK whenever that is an available option. I just did not know if there was possibly a better option out there. I'll go with the NGK plugs.

• 1 month later...
My son and I are going to do the spark plugs on my 09 GT tomorrow. I got the NGK Iridium plugs. Do the wires and plugs come out without moving the engine from side to side with the two engine mounts unbolted? I have 68k and I am sure it has the original plugs. Runs fine but idles less smooth than when I bought it at 36k.

Unplug, very gracefully, and unbolt the coil packs. You will have to rotate them a bit to get them out. To get the plugs out use a combination of what works for you, small extension, universal joint, reducer, upducer(yes, I just said that!) Or whatever works. I very carefully checked the gap on the new plugs, little anti-sieze on the threads and tighten them accordingly. I did not use a torque wrench, you know when they are tightnuff.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

You don't need to unbolt engine mounts.

Wait till car is cool before beginning because things will be hot.

Undo cables from battery, remove battery, place to side

Undo maf cable on air box, undo screw clamps from air box to turbo inlet. Remove air box.

Loosen coil on plug packs with socket and unclip the cable on the pack, don't squeeze the clip too hard, because it will break. For the ones closest to the firewall, pullout slightly, rotate 180 degrees and the pack should come out easier.

After all coil packs are out, shoot air into the holes to remove dirt or dust in the holes.

Get a 3inch extension and place on a sparkplug socket then use a combination of universals and extensions to break loose the plugs and remove them. I like to label each plug with a marker to look at them later to compare if any look worse than others for oil consumption or wear.

After plugs are out you can do a compression or leak down test or just put new ones in.

Next put a thin coating of anti seize on plug threads and make sure you don't cross thread the plugs and don't over tighten them. *follow instructions on box*

Install coil packs back making sure the boots go on the plugs, reinsert electrical clips. Reinstall airbox and battery and start car, verify that you have a normal idle and it is running correctly if not check your coil pack and connections.

My son and I are going to do the spark plugs on my 09 GT tomorrow. I got the NGK Iridium plugs. Do the wires and plugs come out without moving the engine from side to side with the two engine mounts unbolted? I have 68k and I am sure it has the original plugs. Runs fine but idles less smooth than when I bought it at 36k.

Read the post about this in the DIY forums. It's easier then it sounds once the battery and air box are out of the way.

I did mine last month.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spark-plug-install-instructions-12070p22.html

I did not remove the coil connector from any of the coils, just look at them and figure out the best way to rotate them to move them out of the way.

The back two took a few times to get them back on the plug but just be patient give it a few try's you can feel the difference.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here