LegacyGT.com

Key fob issue

One of many gremlins I am trying to sort out on my '09 Legacy I recently bought. The car sat for about 14 months prior to me buying it with a blown engine. The battery was dead, obviously. Anyway, got it back on the road and the key fob doesn't work. I DO have a CEL currently for some other issues that I am awaiting parts for, but in the meantime I can't clear the CEL. I have followed the ridiculous key fob programming procedure multiple times without success. The battery in the fob is good. I am fast learning that these cars have a myriad of idiosyncrasies. I am wondering if the key fob programming feature is disabled due to the CEL....much like my traction control and cruise control are...anyone know?

Just out of curiosity, what have you tried? I'm not sure if this works in an 09, and if this is what you tried, or if you're trying with a scantool.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/09-key-fob-upgrade-programming-224446.html

The service manual says a maximum of 4 keys can be stored, not sure if that's the problem too.

I am following the procedure thats in the owner’s manual. I only have one fob key and the Valet key. I have no idea how many keys may have been programmed to it in the past. However it doesn’t matter because I can’t even get the car to enter the programming mode.

I see, I had no idea the owners manual had that kind of information, but I see it now.

I've done some searching, and haven't come up with much information.

The thread below did make me wonder, when you put a key in the ignition, is there a chime?

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/494613-can-t-get-vehicle-into-key-fob-programming-mode.html

Also, everything is good with your driver side window switch now right?

I see, I had no idea the owners manual had that kind of information, but I see it now.

I've done some searching, and haven't come up with much information.

The thread below did make me wonder, when you put a key in the ignition, is there a chime?

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/494613-can-t-get-vehicle-into-key-fob-programming-mode.html

Also, everything is good with your driver side window switch now right?

Yep, windows are fixed. Now I am wondering if there may have been another shunt installed on that remote start aux connector also - for the power door lock function. I'll have to re-visit those drawings you posted.

What I need to do is locate one of these automatic cars in the junkyard and look and see what kinda fittings might be attached to the ends of these two un-used connectors that get plugged into the remote start module when it's installed.

Archived