LegacyGT.com

Removing dealer installed bumper protectors

Architeuthis

My dealer attached some strips on the front and rear of my car. The front, at least, is completely off-center. I intend to remove them.

I'm planning to use a heat gun, but I'm sure it will leave a residue. What is a good product for removing the sticky residue after removal?

legacybumpstrip.jpg.4770d4d9a756d1b2a2e5c81ee00b812a.jpg

I have used 3M adhesive remover..... Goo Gone....various citrus based cleaners....heating and rolling off with fingertips..... and Turtle Wax bug and tar remover (in the can, not the spray). I like the Turtle Wax the best for painted surfaces.

Mike

I've had good results with goo gone also.

Man, I can see why you want to remove those, they look like hell. I hate when dealerships stick stuff like that on a car. I would have made them remove it before buying it. Those stupid dealership decals also piss me off, I've made them remove those on past new car purchases before I would take it. It's one of my pet peeves, a small thing but my 25-30K purchase is not a free rolling billboard for their dealership.

I called the dealership... I'm going to drop the car off Tuesday for free removal. This is preferable because I can't screw it up and be held liable. Incidently, they also put a pinstripe along the sides and rear. It's not something I would choose to do, but I think I can live with it.

Pete

they have a special adhesive remover.

3m #8907 from the pdf

CAUTION:

• Do not use the solvent to the body which is

repaired with lacquer paint.

• Wipe off immediately when the solvent is

touched on surface of the body or spoiler.

Solvent:

3M 8907 or equivalent

I'll post a good pic of the pinstripe in the near future, but for now, you can see it in the initial pic at the beginning of the post. It's actually pretty subtle, but I prefer a cleaner look.

One thing I noticed is that from a distance, the stripe gives the appearance of a contour line. It reminds me of a TL or BMW. I'll probably ask for the dealer to remove the stripe anyway.

Archived