LegacyGT.com

Daylight Running/Park Brake

[quote name='agctr']To be honest, I dont really get the idea behind DRL. [/quote] S A F E T Y :!: I do a lot of roadside work, and you wouldn't believe how much MORE visible a car with headlights on is. Be seen! Kinda echo's that the safest cars are the ones that are brightly colored (coloured for down under!) and your brown, blacks, dark greys appear in more accidents.

[quote name='TLS'][quote name='agctr']To be honest, I dont really get the idea behind DRL. [/quote] S A F E T Y :!: I do a lot of roadside work, and you wouldn't believe how much MORE visible a car with headlights on is. Be seen! Kinda echo's that the safest cars are the ones that are brightly colored (coloured for down under!) and your brown, blacks, dark greys appear in more accidents.[/quote] Unless the car is coming from the direction of the sun, in which case it is completely invisible.

also, when there are motorcycles on the road, they will become less visible, because bike headlights will become -- 'not so unique?' -- since cars with DRL's are flooding the road. Anyway, there are always two sides to a coin...whatcha gonna do? Later, i.

Its not it just seems weird that you would be stopped at a junction and your lights go out as you apply the park brake. It seems that lights going off and on while driving could easily be mis-interpreted by someone for example at a four way stop. In lower light situations that wouldn't normally cause you to use your headlights the DRL's going out everytime you stop at lights or a stop seems dangerous to me. I guess I was always taught to apply the parking brake (when stopped) more often that people here do. (Edit. In fact in the UK you would fail your driving test if you didn't) Thats all no big deal. Just going to unplug them - problem goes away.

Remember, on disc brake equipped cars, parking brake is for PARKING, not for slowing down. Personally I don't currently own a manual transmission vehicle. So, unless I'm on a hill, my parking brake stays off. ESPECIALLY in winter. I'm a member of quite a few automotive type fourms, and I was always astounded at how many people don't care for DRL's. I personally ADDED a $90 module to my 300M to ENABLE them.

I believe studies were done recently showing DRL has reduced benefits the closer you get to the equator. Basically, the reason they are so beneficial in Canada is due to the sun angle. In the US, we are far enough south that it doesn't help at all. I believe one of the drawbacks was distance estimation when passing. Apparently (I can vouch for this), people have a harder time judging the distance of an oncoming vehicle with DRL when trying to pass another vehicle.. One feature I wish they would replace DRLs with is headlight activation with wipers. I know some European cars have this. Some people just don't understand "Wipers on = Lights on". Especially people in trucks (just something I've noticed).

Thats why DRL's are good. They're on anytime your NOT in PARK. Wipers or not. My 300M has the wipers on/headlights on, but really acts funny when you just want to do a quick wipe. Then my DRL's switch OFF/Headlights switch ON, then when I turn the wipers OFF the headlights go back off. Talk about confusing someone in front of you with flashing lights!

Archived