LegacyGT.com

bad duty solenoid?

After my 15 Legacy 2.5 got stuck in the snow in my driveway, I'm having a torque bind situation. Doing some research, it seems like it might be a bad duty solenoid. Today i put it up and stands, and everything spins freely. I unhooked the battery and a couple of the electrical connectors in hopes I would maybe reset something. After this, instead of seeming locked up all the time, its kind of intermittent. When I start into a turn, I don't have a bind, then all of the sudden it kicks in. Kind of in and out. I'm also hearing kind of a banging sound when it does this. I think its just play in the drive train as it goes from binding to free. I don't have any dash lights on. I put my scanner on it, and there's no codes. I guess the TPMS light came on recently, but I can imagine that's related. Is there a way to tell if its the solenoid without taking it all apart? Thanks for any input.

IMO the TPMS light could be related. All four tires are supposed to have a circumference within 1/4" of each other. If one tire is abnormally low on air, that makes me wonder if its circumference is different, causing the binding. I don't know, I don't know enough about science and math to know how much, if at all low pressure will change circumference.

The other thing is, the tread depth for the tires should also be within 2/32" of each other so that the circumference stays within spec.

406751379_circumferenceoftirescaution.thumb.jpg.79328ce7849d98a6c9bd7da3d371e4d8.jpg

Archived