LegacyGT.com

2008 legacy ...rebuild or swap engine?

A friend of mine offered me his 2008 legacy for $500. Car had 138K on it and the motor quit. I've yet to look at it but he was told by his mechanic that it threw a rod bearing.. It had a stock 2.4l 4 cylinder motor in it

I've never messed with Subaru's before, Mostly GM stuff, however this might be a fun project for me considering the car is in very nice shape. No Rust or dents...

My local junkyards usually charge around $300-$500 for that type of motor.

Just looking for some opinions on swapping in a replacement engine. I'm assuming that it will be easier to just do a swap rather than rebuild the current motor...especially if the rod bearing actually did fail.

I found this video of a legacy engine removal... Looks pretty simple and I have all the tools to do it. Just curious if there's anything I should know before I bite off more than I can chew...Such as electrical wiring? Or is the main harness just plug and play?

Thanks,

Brad

If it's in great shape and nothing else is wrong with it, then go for it. It's a straight forward swap. You could probably flip the car for a decent profit too. I imagine the car would sell for around $4,000.

Archived