LegacyGT.com

Strange noise in 5th & 3500 RPMs?

Just took a 3 hour road trip, and noticed a sound eminating from the vicinity of the turbo at around 3500 RPM in 5th. (Appx. 105mph or so.)

Inever noticed this before, and was wondering if it was something I should worry about. It only happens when I accelerate- if I take my foot off the gas, it stops immediately.

Could this be the wastegate? Hard to describe the sound... Almost like the sound you hear when riding beside someone with aftermarket exhaust....

Anyone?

Just took a 3 hour road trip, and noticed a sound eminating from the vicinity of the turbo at around 3500 RPM in 5th. (Appx. 105mph or so.)
Sorry, I can't help with your problem. But I would like to request that you bring a digicam with you when you explain to the service advisor what they need to do in order to reproduce your problem. I want to see the expression on his face.

When I am driving that fast, my eyes are generally on the road, so I may very well be off with my MPH.

This is a 5EAT, FWIW. I know the gearing it slightly different.

I haven't noticed this sound in any other gear. I'll try to duplicate it again today and report back.

I can't see why accelerating in 5th above 3500rpm would be any different than the lower gears.

And, for the record, these runs are done soley through school zones, with large amounts of pedestrian traffic. ;)

Can't imagine what it will be like to go to dealer and explain the sound occurs at speeds over 100.

Archived