LegacyGT.com

Cleaning up the Legacy for Chicago Winter

Last night I 3M hand glazed the car. Even under the garage lights I could see the fine lines removed from the paint and it looked smooth. Didn't have time to finish though, had to go out for a beverage.:munch: Black SUCKS, shows everything (but I would buy it again in a second). This morning includes a coat of Mothers wax. I also took off the rims and cleaned all the brake dust out so I can put a coat off wax on them to combat the 18 tons of salt :icon_evil they use in Illinois. Are you preping for winter yet? What are doing to get ready for the white crap and salt.

Meh, a little bit of salt never hurt. its when it builds up and sits for weeks, and seeps into every crack and crevice that it does damage. I go to the touch free carwashes once a week and get an undercarriage wash, and do a hand wash with the wand to get all the tough to reach spots/crevices. the trick is to find one thats open year round....
Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I was going to research some teflon sealants for the wheels and maybe some underbody components.

I am DEF going to do the sealants that Anthony mentioned in his thread before winter kicks in 100% here in CO. I'm HOPING for a late 90's type winter (been in a drout for a long time).

I am also purchasing a small 4wheel drive beat up truck with a 4cyl & 5spd. So THAT can take the brunt (if not all) of winter driving! I'd rather not punish the LGT like that!

Now.... if there happens to be empty parking lots that are un-disturbed with 8-10" of snow sitting on them.... then you KNOW I'll be coming back with the LGT for a little bit of Scoob Snow Throwin!

It is the disposition of men to desire that which he cannot have, hence my un-quenchable wet desire for Shakira!

3 coats of Klasse SG, a coat of One Grand Blitz every weekend it gets nice enough out, leather conditioner, 303 on the plastic......and start sayin' my prayers every night to help protect me from some jackass on a cell phone sliding into me on the icy road while they aren't paying attention.

That's how I prepare for winter.

Sure. The probelm with waxing rims is that the conditions down there aren't very friendly. Normal wax might last a few days, but rarely more than a week or so. It is too hot for a wax to last. A sealant is much more durable, but still fairly fragile. You can get 6 weeks or so out of a sealant. You can tell it is working because your wheels will stay cleaner and get clean easier. Out of all the sealants I have used I usually stick with either Klasse SG or Meguiar's #20 for rims when I am looking for durability. Wolfgang and 4*UPP work, but it just won't last as long and you'll have to reapply. I like to apply it on the entire wheel and that is hard without taking it off. I don't feel like doing that in the middle of the winter usually, so I just reapply it to the spokes and lip and wait till spring to do the full cleaning.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived