LegacyGT.com

Low Oil Light On and Full of Oil?

Hey guys. My son's 2011 Legacy Limited 3.6 low oil light came on. The picture of the oil can. He said he checked the oil and its full. Any ideas what to check or do in a situation like that? Thanks for any ideas.

Moved to the 5th Gen Legacy Tech forum. Hopefully, you'll get some answers.

Just picked up a 2014 3.6R OB. Didn't realize that these 3.6L take 7 quarts with a filter change. I'm sure your son knows this, but when you check the oil level, make sure you let it sit (at least an hour or more if it's not registering on the dipstick) in order to fully drain into the oil pan and register on the dipstick.

I found that 6.9 Qts as prescribed still left it shy of the full mark.

There's only three things I can think of that would cause a low light condition.

1. Truly low on oil (not good)
  2. Oil pump failing/failed (unusual)
  3. Oil pressure sender failed/failing (atypical)

I wouldn't drive it until you figure out which of the three, or possibly another reason for the low-level light. Hope you figure it out quickly.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Moved to the 5th Gen Legacy Tech forum. Hopefully, you'll get some answers.

Just picked up a 2014 3.6R OB. Didn't realize that these 3.6L take 7 quarts with a filter change. I'm sure your son knows this, but when you check the oil level, make sure you let it sit (at least an hour or more if it's not registering on the dipstick) in order to fully drain into the oil pan and register on the dipstick.

I found that 6.9 Qts as prescribed still left it shy of the full mark.

There's only three things I can think of that would cause a low light condition.

1. Truly low on oil (not good)
  2. Oil pump failing/failed (unusual)
  3. Oil pressure sender failed/failing (atypical)

I wouldn't drive it until you figure out which of the three, or possibly another reason for the low-level light. Hope you figure it out quickly.

Thanks for moving it. I'm the one that changed the oil for him and did realize the 7 quart oil requirement. I have the exact same car that's a 13 model. Funny thing is he's been driving it for a few weeks since the oil change with no light then it randomly comes on. :confused:

One guy sent the procedure for swapping a predelivery fuse under the hood that turns the light out. Will try that and pray the light will stay off. If it comes back on, will take it to the dealer I guess unless replacing that sensor is fairly easy. ;)

A "flickering" oil light in a Subaru typically means the oil is low, or the OP sensor is not getting continuous OP from the pump, i.e., cracked/broken oil pickup tube; the latter is not common in the H6s.

Random "on" would lead me to look at the circuit itself, bad ground, loose fuse, failing sensor etc., again, not a common occurrence. The pre-delivery fuse issue is the first I've heard of this particular scenario, and would think that it would have manifested by now given the 2011 build status.

Please post up what you find. It'll definitely help to increase the body of knowledge on this specific engine/model issue. Good luck with it.

A "flickering" oil light in a Subaru typically means the oil is low, or the OP sensor is not getting continuous OP from the pump, i.e., cracked/broken oil pickup tube; the latter is not common in the H6s.

Random "on" would lead me to look at the circuit itself, bad ground, loose fuse, failing sensor etc., again, not a common occurrence. The pre-delivery fuse issue is the first I've heard of this particular scenario, and would think that it would have manifested by now given the 2011 build status.

Please post up what you find. It'll definitely help to increase the body of knowledge on this specific engine/model issue. Good luck with it.

Makes sense. What I meant about randomly coming on is that it all of a sudden came on out of the blue. Told him not to drive it until we could get some ideas from you guys that have alot of experience with Subarus. Gonna go over to his place today and try that fuse trick. The link to it is in the other post I did when I wasn't sure this would get moved. It's in that post. I had also seen a couple of YouTube videos on it. Will post back what I found.

Any idea how to replace that sensor? Thanks again.

If that's the sensor directly above the oil filter check that you didn't loosen the connection during the filter change.

Ah! Good point! Didn't realize that was there. May very well have done that without realizing it. Could have wiggled itself loose if I did hit it since last oil change. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hope this has been sorted? What was the issue and the fix?

Hey thanks for asking! He hasn't mentioned anything about it again so it slipped my mind totally. I texted him to see if he tried that fuse trick. Will post reply when he answers. Him and his girlfriend are big mountain bike riders and they're out riding trails here in the Asheville, NC area today. FINALLY a nice day! Thanks again for asking about it!!

Didn't realize you were this close. Up in Hendersonville and Asheville quite regularly. About 35 miles East, in UpState SC.

Archived