LegacyGT.com

2009 LGT Rear Pads

whitexc

I just bought my car back in October. When purchased, it had all brand new rotors, pads and one new caliper (it was black and the rest painted red). Fast forward to now....the rear brakes, particularly the RR is just plain noisy. It squeals rolling through a drive thru and pretty much every stop unless I am on the brakes really hard. They may have never been bedded in correctly. I verified everything is in working order, thinking they are just high in metal content. While the rotors are still very nice I am just going to swap out pads as I can't do the squeal any longer.

Suggestions for a 100% street/mostly DD car? Anyone have experience with Brembo ceramic pads? Just go OEM? I wouldn't mind keeping the dust down.

When you said you verified that everything is in working order, all the metal to metal contact points are lubed? clips, fronts of the pads where the caliper contacts the pad, back where the piston(s?) contact? I forget if the lgt rear calipers have one piston or two.

I have not taken the brakes apart to verify lube on contact points, etc. You are 100% correct that this should be my starting point. I am going off the fact that all parts were new and that the brakes function as needed.

They are not noisy all the time, just seems that when I have someone riding with me and being the OCD person I am, I have to mention it even though they may not even notice it. I will start with a disassemble, clean and lube. I am getting ready to put the summer sneakers on anywho so the time is right.

Thanks for the replies. If it comes down to it I will find some good ceramics and go that route.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

If you have high metal contact pads and its cold outside, you'll get squealing. That's normal. I have drag my brake pedal lightly for a few blocks to heat mine up, otherwise noisy and useless.

If merely noisy, then a disassembly is in your future.

If noisy and slow to stop, especially at low speeds, then the usable temp range of the pad is too high. This will cause increased wear on your rotors, too. Your drive thru comment seems to suggest this, however, the low speed noise will sound more like a rough stone being dragged across a smooth surface, more of a grinding noise. Given one caliper is not like the others, I'd start pulling the pads & rotors to check them for uneven wear. If nothing, swap sides. Test. if still noisy, then calipers.

Subaru does have a "special" brake treatment that "cures" squealing. I found going to a higher quality pad "fixed" squealing, too. ymmv

Archived