LegacyGT.com

Company 23 Crank/Cam Tools 2.5 SOHC

It has been a while since I was here last but have a question that others may find helpful. Next week I will probably be replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 2012 Legacy 2.5 Limited and have the parts and everything just about ready to go. I have the Company 23 crank pulley tool (v2) but reading through the shop manual I see that a cam sprocket must be removed to get the water pump off. Company 23 has a nice wrench for that that I will probably order but I'd like to have a plan B if it doesn't get here in time. (We have a 2012 Outback that will be needing this job soon as well.)

Looking at the crank pulley wrench, it seems that it (minus 2 bolts) might work on the cam sprocket also. Not as slick as the proper tool, but in a pinch...

Is there anyone here that has this 503v2 tool and a EJ253 cam sprocket handy that they could check out?

It has been a while since I was here last but have a question that others may find helpful. Next week I will probably be replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 2012 Legacy 2.5 Limited and have the parts and everything just about ready to go. I have the Company 23 crank pulley tool (v2) but reading through the shop manual I see that a cam sprocket must be removed to get the water pump off. Company 23 has a nice wrench for that that I will probably order but I'd like to have a plan B if it doesn't get here in time. (We have a 2012 Outback that will be needing this job soon as well.)

Looking at the crank pulley wrench, it seems that it (minus 2 bolts) might work on the cam sprocket also. Not as slick as the proper tool, but in a pinch...

Is there anyone here that has this 503v2 tool and a EJ253 cam sprocket handy that they could check out?

In a pinch a pair of vice grips and a piece of the old timing belt would work better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yes, there are other ways of getting the job done.

As it turns out, I may not need to remove the cam sprocket. The factory manual describes removing the sprocket and backside of the timing cover before removing the water pump

(page CO(H4SO)-16), but other sources show this to be not necessary. I guess I'll see when I open this up.

Archived