LegacyGT.com

Automotive Safety and the Environment

Lowell_Greenberg

Most here would agree that Subaru makes some of the safest vehicles in the world. I could and have in prior posts outlined some of the reasons I believe this as well. I truly believe that "engineered for safety," is not something Subaru gives lip service to.

Still, in an era of rampant climate change, safety and environmental responsibility cannot be divorced from each other. In the latter area, while the company's commitment to zero landfill is commendable- Subaru is not doing enough in moving its cars away from gasoline power. Neither for that matter are Toyota and Honda. And most certainly the US regulatory climate and Ostrich head in the sand attitude towards climate change is NOT helping. And none of the aforementioned players have the slightest interest in hastening the move to public transportation.

I've been thinking about these topics more lately- and so much of what we are doing or not doing is so obviously wrong in my opinion- it is quite frankly tragic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

We don't know what's happening behind the closed doors at development, but I'd expect Europe to get more and more hybrids pretty soon.

If you look at the center tunnel on the latest XV and Forester it's "unusually large" to accommodate for an electric motor.

453747.png

With the release of the plug-in Crosstrek, it seems like they're taking steps in the direction you're talking about. These technologies can't be designed and built overnight, and as a company, they have to see if the demand is there. So while they are behind some other companies in this regard, I don't think they're being unreasonable about it.

1) Moved thread to General Chat forum. The topic is neither Gen 6 nor Legacy specific.

2) Just a reminder: Please keep the discussion non-political.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

These technologies can't be designed and built overnight, and ... [subaru is] behind some other companies in this regard ...

I agree on both points. Subaru is still a rather small company for the automotive industry, and they lack the financial resources to be a leader in developing and deploying their own proprietary hybrid/electric technology. That means they're going to have to wait for the technology to mature somewhat, which will eventually allow them to incorporate mostly off-the-shelf components in their hybrid/electric vehicles.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...
Still, in an era of rampant climate change, safety and environmental responsibility cannot be divorced from each other. In the latter area, while the company's commitment to zero landfill is commendable- Subaru is not doing enough in moving its cars away from gasoline power.

Not everybody wants the alternatives (I sure don't, even though I do support the concept of cars having at least a modicum of efficiency). What wi_legacy2016 said certainly applies. Even if you're not a small company and you build before sufficient demand is known to exist, you'd better have really deep pockets.

Not everybody can even live with the alternatives, as the infrastructure to support those alternatives does not yet exist.

On safety, we may be at or possibly past the point where the safety industry keeps coming up with new stuff partly to justify its own continued existence. Keep in mind that no matter what new safety feature is added or how reliable it may be, the note in the owner's manual still puts full responsibility on the human driver. No matter how much he's been conditioned to rely on the technologies over his own abilities.

Norm

I've been thinking about these topics more lately- and so much of what we are doing or not doing is so obviously wrong in my opinion- it is quite frankly tragic.

Each of us has his/her own ranking of the various criteria that go into their car choices, and the thing about individuality is that they're not always going to line up in the same order from one person to the next. Individual driving history may have something to do with this, though not necessarily in direct proportion to the length of that history.

FWIW, we came to own a 2010 Legacy from a rather different set of requirements and priorities. At the top of the list was four doors, decent power, and a manual transmission. Further down was a modicum of safety (mainly the passive items) and fuel economy. We weren't going to spend north of $30k for a car that didn't offer certain amounts of performance, fun and engagement in just the driving part.

We came to Subaru once again just last week, when the Legacy - I'll mention now that it was the 2.5 GT model - ended up being replaced with a WRX Limited. Nine years after the first Subaru, our emphasis on performance, fun & engagement remains, still with a requirement for that stick-shift, which Subaru has removed from the Legacy line (else we'd absolutely have bought another LGT). One other thing . . . this time next year, we'll both be "70-somethings".

Norm

My ex-sis-in-law recently bought a Ford Fusion hybrid. No thanks. Gasoline for me.

Maybe I'll get a diesel one day.

What do you think the primary energy source is in that Fusion?

Archived