LegacyGT.com

Of course, now that the warranty is up, the problems start.

Of course, now that my 2016 has 40,000 miles, the troubles will start. My car has a window activation switch that has gone south on me. The switch is on the drivers side door console, but it is the switch the controls the passenger side, front window. It will power the window up, but not down. The passenger side switch that controls that same window works fine. It's just the driver's side control that isn't working. Any advice on how to troubleshoot and remedy this without having to take it in to a dealer would be most welcome.

I would order a new switch online and see if that fixes it. I am sure you can source a used switch on eBay or buy a brand new one.

If that doesn't fix it, then take it in.

Subaru might even do a good will warranty since your warranty recently expired.

Of course, now that my 2016 has 40,000 miles, the troubles will start. My car has a window activation switch that has gone south on me. ...

I thought based on your post title, you were going to list maybe 3-5 serious issues!

One window switch failure may not be that evil omen suggesting a cascade of issues that will drive you into bankruptcy.

Expect a few issues with any car you keep past warranty and you'll enjoy your car more :)

Easy things first. Have you tried performing the window initialization procedure per the Owners Manual?

Perform it several times, if it doesn't work the first time or two. I screwed it up the first couple of times I tried it, but eventually got it to work. I don't recall what I was doing incorrectly.

Was your battery disconnected for any period of time recently? Did the switch slowly get worse or did it simply stop working and hasn't worked since?

I agree that you're thread title is a bit over-the-top. I was expecting to read a thread about how your CVT is borked with 101k miles, your engine spun a bearing at 61k miles or a litany of smaller issues.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Our outback had this problem too. Other switches (power seats etc) started doing it too ... just had to wiggle them a bit to remind them what their function was ... but at 160k+ it was just one of many small niggles that we couldn't be bothered to fix.

In your case, at 40k and > 100k left of life in the car, I can see the value of fixing it (and staying on top of other things). Take the door apart to get at the wiring harness, then take apart the connectors and clean with electrical contact cleaner then apply di-electric grease. If that doesn't work swap out the switch itself.

Our outback had this problem too. Other switches (power seats etc) started doing it too ... just had to wiggle them a bit to remind them what their function was ... but at 160k+ it was just one of many small niggles that we couldn't be bothered to fix.

In your case, at 40k and > 100k left of life in the car, I can see the value of fixing it (and staying on top of other things). Take the door apart to get at the wiring harness, then take apart the connectors and clean with electrical contact cleaner then apply di-electric grease. If that doesn't work swap out the switch itself.

Some of you might be surprised to find out how many problems are fixed by taking connectors apart and reconnecting them, to break up any corrosion that might have formed.

As you say, I also make a habit of adding dielectric grease to any connector that comes apart for any reason. If I'm detailing, which admittedly doesn't happen often enough, I'll also preemptively disconnect and seal easily accessible connectors.

//

Example: My uncle's brake lights stopped working. Actually, I think the third brake light worked, but the two main lights remained off when the brake pedal was depressed. He thought I was a freaking genius mechanic when I slid up under the dash and simply disconnected and reconnected the switch connector and fixed it for him! :cool:

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

Some of you might be surprised to find out how many problems are fixed by taking connectors apart and reconnecting them

True! I've lost count of how many times I've taken something apart, can't see a problem, reassembled, and now it's fixed even though I didn't think I did anything.

Anyone know if the initialization fixed OP’s issue? It fixed mine after a battery change.

I only had my Legacy for 49 months/73k miles before I traded it in. Worked great for me.

I might be back for the 2020 Legacy. I was mistaken that I no longer needed a larger car since my daughter started driving. I’ll keep the BMW as a fun/off days car.

Archived