LegacyGT.com

What to look for buying used

Driving 4 and a half hours from CNY to Jersey Monday to go pick up an 05 GT Limited auto. 164k and no records on the carfax indicating the timing belt and water pump have been done, so that will be on the top of my to do list assuming it checks out. Other than the given test drive, letting it warm up and crawling under it to check for leaks, and checking the oil on the dipstick, is there any red flags with these cars I should look for? It’s been at this dealer since August 2018 but that doesn’t really worry me. Been hunting for a clean one for a while, any help is appreciated. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am new to the LGT's so will only share what I have learned in this short time. It sounds like you have done some reading/homework and know some things to look for, that's good. New turbo yes, turn and walk away. Check the oil for sure but check all of the fluids. Make sure the coolant looks good and the trans fluid isn't burnt/lacking. The 5EAT is a funny transmission. Mine has only 56k miles and has it's good days and then has it's days where is likes to short shift and shift quite hard. I have done drain and fills and the reset on it twice and it seems good after this second time....we'll see. You will want to check and likely change both differential fluids when you get it home. Spark plugs, PCV valve, the list is lengthy but they really are great cars. I had no idea of the cult like following on these cars until after I bought it....and I'm a car guy (first PERFORMANCE Subaru). Good luck, hope you bring it home.

Biggest red flag is a new turbo. If it has that, run like hell.

Good to know. Cuz I was looking at an 06 wagon before this one that already had a bunch of mods. New turbo and driveshaft were two of them and made me nervous so I backed out. Glad I did. This one doesn’t have a new one according to records and the dealer

I am new to the LGT's so will only share what I have learned in this short time. It sounds like you have done some reading/homework and know some things to look for, that's good. New turbo yes, turn and walk away. Check the oil for sure but check all of the fluids. Make sure the coolant looks good and the trans fluid isn't burnt/lacking. The 5EAT is a funny transmission. Mine has only 56k miles and has it's good days and then has it's days where is likes to short shift and shift quite hard. I have done drain and fills and the reset on it twice and it seems good after this second time....we'll see. You will want to check and likely change both differential fluids when you get it home. Spark plugs, PCV valve, the list is lengthy but they really are great cars. I had no idea of the cult like following on these cars until after I bought it....and I'm a car guy (first PERFORMANCE Subaru). Good luck, hope you bring it home.

This will be my first Subaru period. My family has had lots of foresters in the past but I’ve never had my hands on one. Really excited to mod it this spring if it checks out. Yeah I didn’t write it but I’ll be checking all the fluids too. I’ll have to feel the trans out when I drive it. Does it tend to short shift or shift hard in sport mode with the button shift or just in general? First things when I get it home are going to be the timing belt and water pump. I’m going with the AISIN performance kit since Gates (the previous go to brand for everyone) switched to Chinese manufacturing and the quality is sub par now. Forums all say to go with the AISIN kit now. And of course an oil change, and full fluid drain and fill all the way around slowly as I can afford it. No new turbo, nothing done to the car except oil changes as far as the records show. I’ve got a good feeling about this one and working on it when I get it home isn’t a bad thing in my book. Thanks for your help! I’m sure I’ll be posting a lot on here soon

Archived