LegacyGT.com

2015 2.5i Oil Consumption

this stuff turned the code lights off at the moment but the car is still hard to start...i am assuming after i go through this tank of fuel the lights will come back on...not sure if this is something i should do every few weeks to see if i can clean it a little

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BS1WMRRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Point37

• 4 months later...

235k miles and still rolling...have to get to sept. 2026 for my wife to pay off her car then i can look at a new car...let's see if it can make it that far...getting around 600mi/qt for oil at the moment

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

got another cat code the other day...dumped a bottle of cat cleaner in a full tank of gas and the code went away...this is the 3rd time i have done this...going to do this every 3 months to keep it going as that seems to be the point at which the code comes back consistently...also and going to try switching from full synthetic to synthetic blend oil to see if it slows the oil consumption a little more

Edited by Point37

I don't think the oil consumption itself will shorten the life of the motor, unless of course you forget to fill too many times.  Using an oil with less lubrication might make it worse.  You are, however, changing the oil continually, so that should keep it somewhat fresh.  I might start with synthetic 5W-30, an alternative the manual actually suggests, and see what that does.

Cheering for the Sept '26 deadline with you!

• Like 1

So I reviewed the manual - conventional is listed as an "emergency" alternate for the 2.5.  I thought it was synthetic.

"If 0W 20 synthetic oil is not available,
5W 30 or 5W 40 conventional oil may
be used if replenishment is needed but
should be changed to 0W 20 synthetic
oil at the next oil change."

• Like 1

@Point37 has been milking this cow for about 1 year now. He already had the low oil lght come on while driving.  I recommended going with cheap, heavy oil until it completely dies.  He has basically done as I said and limped along thus far eating 1qt every 500 miles. 

It's a slow limp to the grave for this engine.  Much like a Timex, it keeps ticking. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, m sprank said:

The slow march towards the end of life. 

yup...now it's a challenge to see how long it will go for...i drive mostly highway so we shall see

20 hours ago, waldguy said:

I don't think the oil consumption itself will shorten the life of the motor, unless of course you forget to fill too many times.  Using an oil with less lubrication might make it worse.  You are, however, changing the oil continually, so that should keep it somewhat fresh.  I might start with synthetic 5W-30, an alternative the manual actually suggests, and see what that does.

Cheering for the Sept '26 deadline with you!

yes my rate of consumption at the moment is 1 qt / ~600 mi...it gets a quart every time the low oil light pops on around 600 miles...i have been using heavier weight oils for a while now and mixing in whatever weights i want...doesn't matter at this point

18 hours ago, BoozeRS05 said:

I like the idea of moving to a synthetic blend, or since you’re adding a quart every 500 miles I’d just jump to conventional oils. You’re on borrowed time anyway 

i'm just experimenting at this point...i figure it can't hurt...i bought 3 quarts of synthetic blend and 3 quarts of full synthetic for the trunk...i figure i'll alternate...next oil change maybe i will change with synthetic blend and see how it goes....curious to see if it has any effect

18 hours ago, waldguy said:

So I reviewed the manual - conventional is listed as an "emergency" alternate for the 2.5.  I thought it was synthetic.

"If 0W 20 synthetic oil is not available,
5W 30 or 5W 40 conventional oil may
be used if replenishment is needed but
should be changed to 0W 20 synthetic
oil at the next oil change."

way past that...car has 238k miles...it's been an emergency for quite a few years now as this issue has progressed

17 hours ago, m sprank said:

@Point37 has been milking this cow for about 1 year now. He already had the low oil lght come on while driving.  I recommended going with cheap, heavy oil until it completely dies.  He has basically done as I said and limped along thus far eating 1qt every 500 miles. 

It's a slow limp to the grave for this engine.  Much like a Timex, it keeps ticking. 

^^^this...i just wait for the light (while i monitor the mileage) then add a quart...hoping to limp to the end of my wife's car payments or more...i will ride this car out until 1) it dies 2) something expensive fails 3) oil consumption gets so bad i'm dumping in a quart every 300 miles 4) i get fed up...4 is only an option once we are out of her loan...1-3 are an option at any time

Edited by Point37
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

You go!  Drive em till u bury em. Some day you will look back with fond memories of a beloved companion that would not die and kept on trucking, just for you. 

I miss my 87 Toyo 22re.  Your car reminds me of my "Pepito". The little truck that could and would. I think I can, I think I can. 

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, m sprank said:

You go!  Drive em till u bury em. Some day you will look back with fond memories of a beloved companion that would not die and kept on trucking, just for you. 

I miss my 87 Toyo 22re.  Your car reminds me of my "Pepito". The little truck that could and would. I think I can, I think I can. 

^^^this is the way...what has been getting to me aside from the oil consumption is the seat is very uncomfortable at this point (concave feeling) and for someone who drives a lot it gets to me...also having to constantly connect my phone to bluetooth using the buttons every time i start it is getting old...hit menu button, turn knob to "select", push button, turn knob to "my iphone name", push button and wait for it to connect...bluetooth also will cut out for a half second repeatedly from time to time which is also annoying

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yup. I replaced the seats in my 01 Fronty and drove another 60k miles before the transmission spit a gear out of the housing while driving.  Darn oem seats were KILLING me. But I was not gonna leave a drop of life in that chassis. 

I paid $700 for a set of Evo 7 Recaros in good shape. Made mounts and off I went.  When I salvaged the truck (in Mexico) I pulled the seats and set them in the shop show room. Sold them for $700, LOL.  

I admire your tenacity and dedication to the "craft". 

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, m sprank said:

Yup. I replaced the seats in my 01 Fronty and drove another 60k miles before the transmission spit a gear out of the housing while driving.  Darn oem seats were KILLING me. But I was not gonna leave a drop of life in that chassis. 

I paid $700 for a set of Evo 7 Recaros in good shape. Made mounts and off I went.  When I salvaged the truck (in Mexico) I pulled the seats and set them in the shop show room. Sold them for $700, LOL.  

I admire your tenacity and dedication to the "craft". 

nice...got your money back...i could probably go to a junk yard and find a new drivers seat but not sure what they would charge me for it and i would have to search for a donor that still has the windows intact for water damage and even then the seat may still smell funky even without it being exposed to the elements and not sure if the controls would work...trying not to spend much on it at this point but if i could swap out the drivers seat for cheap money i probably would

I'd bet there are a fair amount of plug and play driver seats . I have front and rear premium ‘18 WRX seats in my ‘14 Forester and I absolutely love them compared to the OEM setup.

Seats were $750, fronts were direct fit, and an additional $160 for upholstery costs on the rear bench seat.

• Like 1

The Recaros were leather, so I got lucky. I had my 03 Forester seats rehupolstered in leather with new foam  for around $400 ea iirc.  

If I was 16 an upside down 5gl bucket would work as a seat.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...