LegacyGT.com

2015 2.5i Oil Consumption

this stuff turned the code lights off at the moment but the car is still hard to start...i am assuming after i go through this tank of fuel the lights will come back on...not sure if this is something i should do every few weeks to see if i can clean it a little

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BS1WMRRS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Point37

• 4 months later...

235k miles and still rolling...have to get to sept. 2026 for my wife to pay off her car then i can look at a new car...let's see if it can make it that far...getting around 600mi/qt for oil at the moment

• 2 months later...

got another cat code the other day...dumped a bottle of cat cleaner in a full tank of gas and the code went away...this is the 3rd time i have done this...going to do this every 3 months to keep it going as that seems to be the point at which the code comes back consistently...also and going to try switching from full synthetic to synthetic blend oil to see if it slows the oil consumption a little more

Edited by Point37

I don't think the oil consumption itself will shorten the life of the motor, unless of course you forget to fill too many times.  Using an oil with less lubrication might make it worse.  You are, however, changing the oil continually, so that should keep it somewhat fresh.  I might start with synthetic 5W-30, an alternative the manual actually suggests, and see what that does.

Cheering for the Sept '26 deadline with you!

So I reviewed the manual - conventional is listed as an "emergency" alternate for the 2.5.  I thought it was synthetic.

"If 0W 20 synthetic oil is not available,
5W 30 or 5W 40 conventional oil may
be used if replenishment is needed but
should be changed to 0W 20 synthetic
oil at the next oil change."

@Point37 has been milking this cow for about 1 year now. He already had the low oil lght come on while driving.  I recommended going with cheap, heavy oil until it completely dies.  He has basically done as I said and limped along thus far eating 1qt every 500 miles. 

It's a slow limp to the grave for this engine.  Much like a Timex, it keeps ticking.