LegacyGT.com

09 ej253 oil pump seal 180k

I'm an enthusiast and not a tech or mechanic, just curious what a pro would do. car picked up a nasty habit of smoking. have oil dripping out of the timing belt cover fluid drains, right on the ol exhaust.

plan was to pull the cover run the engine and see which seal the oil pump is leaking from and replace it, but that brings us to the "while your in there" parts cannon. where i should just pull the pump clean up old gasket material and reapply some fresh stuff.

the crank seal pretty much just falls out with the pump off too and is easier to put back on with it out of the car. but if its only the crank seal then just pulling it and getting a new one, and you wont pull the pump worrying about measuring everything with a feeler gauge to see if is in spec and resealing it.

just curious what someone would do if they work in a shop and it was a customers car.

got her all torn apart and cleaned today, just pulled the whole pump. glad i did one of the screws on the back was coming out. the crank seal was polished silver had no more rubber on its face was just getting eaten by the crank sprocket.

how does it get pushed out? theories?

_im running rotella T6 5w 40

_the pump was removed previously, there were 3 mismatched bolts that were locktite'd in place. other 4 were black 3 were silver all same size / pitch

the 3 that were locktightend backed out a bit but then, i had to use a screw driver on one with a wrench to get it out and the other two if I pulled with my fingers and spun them they would come out.

chasing back the threads with one of the good bolts I had to use a bit of a taping technique but it did eventually snug down and seemed ok i only used my fingers to do this. so i'm hoping its not stripped and will see if i can do the same with the other two holes

Archived