LegacyGT.com

CVT fluid change

Judging from the comments on the video below, it's amazing how many people go to drain the engine oil and end up doing a transmission flush (if only partial)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5xbnpTYk0s

One comment reports bringing the car to an oil change joint. One guy at the shop drained the transmission fluid while another overfilled the engine oil. Yikes.

A few lessons to be learned from this one.

Edited by waldguy
added comment

• 1 month later...
I'm still kinda hanging out for an answer to my basic question, so I'll try asking once more before I stop boring y'all :lol: I'd basically like to know at what point (if any) is it a waste of time draining and filling. For example, if the drain and fill method replaces 100% of the fluid (which I know it doesn't) then you have a perfect result. 75% percentage replacemnet would still be great (but again not going to happen in the real world) .... I assume 50 % would still be a good result ...... what about 35% or 25% (or maybe less) ...... so is there a cut off point where you would say it's not worth it .... or do you all subscribe to the theory that it can't hurt and any introduced new fluid is a help.

Also how much more fluid is drained by dropping the pan.

I drained and refilled CVT on my 2017 Legacy 2.5 a few weeks ago. Simple drain took out roughly 5-6 QTs and I believe the capacity is around 12.3 QTS (double check that). I will say for the hassle I will probably just have it flushed next time. To me it seems like a full flush felt like a better drive directly after.

I've read online if you want to drain and fill opposed to a flush then do it again 5K miles later and you're pretty much good to go. Also try to use the same fluid that you already have in there. I used genuine subaru ATF, probably mixed with something different that was in there and it's fine for now but always good to keep it the same.

• 4 months later...

Did a drain and fill, 4.5 litres out, 4.5 litres in, at 78,000 Km (about 50K mi). I did this being influenced by the Japanese service interval recommendation (36K mi). Oil looked very clear, almost new. In addition, the CVT oil degredation only read 2.3% on the OBDII app. Still, I figure it can't hurt -- I'll do it again at 80K mi or so.

On another note, the service guy at the dealer insisted it would take 10 litres, and that the capacity was 14 litres. I didn't argue -- just bought the extra to save for next time (echoes back to the dealer insisting on the engine oil being 6L when I said it was 5L). Sigh.