LegacyGT.com

Looking for general suspension suggestions

jmad

I have a 2005 Subaru Outback XT which I plan on keeping for as long as it is cost effective to own.

Here is my current setup:

Rallitek wagon springs

Bilstein HD struts

Perrin 22 mm ASB front and rear.

18 wheels

I love it on smooth roads, but recently my commute to work has changed and the relative flatness in the cornering is now outweighed by the harshness over the crumby roads. What is the easiest way to make the ride less harsh over bumpy roads but still have less body roll. I realize there is a tradeoff between the two, but I would like to tilt the balance towards a softer ride without going all the way back to stock which was just horrible.

My first thought would be to swap the bars back to stock and see how that effects it, but even that is a PIA if it is not likely to take me in the direction I would like to go.

This is my only car and used for commuting and hauling kids around.

Thanks so much for any general advice. It does not have to be Outback related.

Julian

16" tires will definitely make your ride softer but will increase body roll quite a bit.

The anti-swaybars will not do much in terms of ride harshness, it is just there to reduce body roll so wouldn't bother messing with them.

I have Outback KYB strucks/shocks installed with rallitek standard height overload springs and while I don't care for the soft rebound characteristics of the dampers the ride feels fantastic over dirt and gravel and corner tolerably on crappy L.A. roads.

Archived