LegacyGT.com

Need Help with clutch

Couple things, none of which will be much fun:

with the key off - put the car in neutral, just pull it out of gear - no clutch. push the clutch pedal to the floor then start it in neutral. if it starts slowly try to put it in first. if the gears grind, stop. That means the input shaft in the trans is still turning with the clutch depressed. Potential causes:

Input shaft is not properly in the pilot bearing - pull the trans down - reinsert the alignment tool and make sure it slides freely. reinstall the trans and make sure you get a tight bell housing seal before you tighten any bolts

Pilot Bearing is frozen/damaged - i assume you replaced it with the clutch kit - if not - do it - if you did make sure it turns freely and you didn't damage it putting the input shaft back in place

Pull of the pressure plate and Make sure you didn't put the friction disk in backwards - the side with the smaller spline area goes toward the flywheel. it's easy to put it in facing the wrong way - ask me how I know ...

If the shifter is in neutral and it still jumps - check the shifter linkage - you may have something wrong when you reinstalled it. Or the trans may be broken internally.

I’d like to thank you guys for your help I started to pull the transmission out again. It was more of a pain the second time around because the friction disk didn’t lineup with the spline and it didn’t help when I used the bolts to put her back together. It was a very costly mistake that I’m going to attempt to do one more time. Thanks

Archived