LegacyGT.com

Weird radio popping noise

Hey guys, while listening to Siriusxm in the wifes '18 Legacy sport we get a weird random popping(base) noise. It is random and very intermittent. Does not do it while regular radio stations play, but will do it if streaming bluetooth. Any suggestions ?

Hey guys, while listening to Siriusxm in the wifes '18 Legacy sport we get a weird random popping(base) noise. It is random and very intermittent. Does not do it while regular radio stations play, but will do it if streaming bluetooth. Any suggestions ?
Mist likely to be less than perfect reception. Satellite Radio is line of site and if anything blocks, reflect or refract the signal it will cause sound quality distortion. It is one of the consumer of satellite but the pros still outweighs the cons. Note been using Sirius for 20 years.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Mist likely to be less than perfect reception. Satellite Radio is line of site and if anything blocks, reflect or refract the signal it will cause sound quality distortion. It is one of the consumer of satellite but the pros still outweighs the cons. Note been using Sirius for 20 years.

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

I haven't had Sat radio in almost 4 years, but had it for about a decade prior to that.

I don't recall ever hearing a popping noise. When signal was lost, it simply cut out, then would come back in bits and pieces, if signal was intermittent.

Also, OP says he has the same issue with Bluetooth.

//

Which stereo do you have? Base? Upgraded Harmon Kardon?

I recall reading about the latter having issues with the under-seat amplifier. Some people eventually had the amp fry itself due to alleged moisture issues.

//

Outside of the above, the only time I've experienced popping, was when I had upgraded my own head-unit, speakers, sub, Sirius receiver, etc. and must have left a few connection loose. The speaker that was loose would pop when it lost connection, but it would stay disconnected, however; not intermittent.

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I have the same vehicle with the same problem. I took it into my local Subaru dealer and they told me the popping sound was caused by the stock speakers overloading, especially on base. They suggested that I scale the base setting back to 6, which seems to work however the sound quality of the radio is reduced. I talked with a local car audio shop and they suggested the only way to eliminate this was upgrade the 6 speakers, which they are suggesting Kicker brand. Hopefully this helps...

Here is my post from a few months ago plus another link on radio/speaker upgrades.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/popping-sound-audio-system-2018-subaru-legacy-sport-270938.html?t=270938&highlight=Popping+Sound

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/upgrading-speakers-premium-trim-232661.html?highlight=speaker+size

Archived