LegacyGT.com

GM LS Swaps

blindguy74

Hopefully this can become a big thread..of people that have done it..or are interested in it...

I'm interested in it. I've always owned Chevy but getting older I'm not hardcore loyal..

I see it's been done...and yeah I've been living under a rock i guess...

New to Subaru myself...

05 LGT Wagon.

Anyways right now there's an 00 wagon on ebay.

What say ye.

Subarus are a terrible platform for an LS swap. The only reason they're decent cars to begin with is because of the boxer motor's form factor. An LS would ruin the weigh distribution and there are much better cars to put an LS in for any application you can think of.

Subarus are a terrible platform for an LS swap. The only reason they're decent cars to begin with is because of the boxer motor's form factor. An LS would ruin the weigh distribution and there are much better cars to put an LS in for any application you can think of.

The reason they are decent is because of the symmetrical AWD.... not the boxer motor. The only thing the boxer motor really did was make a different sound. sure it had a bit lower center of gravity compared to an inline 4 but it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Dropping an LS motor and keeping the AWD is quite a challenge. It would be easier to convert the car to RWD wit ha LS swap and then it really has lost what makes a Subaru a Subaru.

I've read of one noteworthy LS swapped wagon, build was documented here a while ago. I forget the bottom line cost but it was well into the 5 figures ($20-30k). Lots of custom fabbed parts including K member.

Biggest drawback I saw was it was RWD and the biggest tires you can really run back there are about 255's so traction is always an issue. The suspension and body does not lend itself well to tubs or any of the other "normal" street rod tricks to get bigger meat on the axle doing the work.

All aluminum LS is prob not substantially different in weight from a EJ25 so that's not a real concern. They're 80lbs lighter than a Mazda rotary if that tells you something.

Archived