LegacyGT.com

TCU Error and Bad Fuel Economy

Hello everyone. I've got an 05 Outback XT with an automatic transmission, and I've got a few issues. So, I noticed that I have been spending a lot of money on gas. I fill her up and reset the trip meter, and find out I'm getting about 220-230 miles per tank. Pretty bad I know. I have an accessport and was using the economy tune, which I decided to uninstall to see if the problem persisted with the stock tune. It definitely does. On top of that, when I have the accessport uninstalled I get a p0700 code! It goes away when I change out of the stock map, which I find odd. Anywho, do you think these two things could be related, or am I looking at 2 separate issues? Also, how do I read the TCM codes? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

For reals? When you do the math that's only about 13-14 mpg's. I would've thought they could do better than that! If that's what everybody else is getting I wont worry about it, but from what I've read I should be getter more. I just saw that thread today, I'm going to try that tonight, hopefully I can get more details on what's going on. It seems odd that the code popped up as soon as I put the stock map back on.

Ordinary code readers usually don't read TCU error codes.

How is the wear on the gearbox? It might be that it's slipping when you push it with a tune.

In your case I'd go to a good dealer to get the code read.

I had it on the economy tune, and I'm always rather gentle with it. I hope that's not the case. But if it is I happen to have a spare laying around the shop.

For reals? When you do the math that's only about 13-14 mpg's. I would've thought they could do better than that! If that's what everybody else is getting I wont worry about it, but from what I've read I should be getter more. I just saw that thread today, I'm going to try that tonight, hopefully I can get more details on what's going on. It seems odd that the code popped up as soon as I put the stock map back on.

I often get sub 200 :hide:

If cost of gas is even an issue for you, you picked the wrong car. Particularly if you take advantage of the gofast nature and/or drive all urban. If you're getting that bad babying in on the highway it may be indicative of a problem though.

I often get sub 200 :hide:

If cost of gas is even an issue for you, you picked the wrong car. Particularly if you take advantage of the gofast nature and/or drive all urban. If you're getting that bad babying in on the highway it may be indicative of a problem though.

Meh, I get a pretty good mix of highway and city, but probably more city than highway honestly. I do try to baby it, I have it running the economy map and I don’t really get on it too often.

Archived