LegacyGT.com

EJ253 no start, no power

So MY09 EJ253 Forester 172k,

Not my car but I'm the one that gets to deal with it, get called right after i got off work that the car died on the side of the road. More concerned about picking the people up and dealing with it tomorrow. I had arrived and tried a couple things for trouble shooting.

Girl said she tried cranking it a couple times and got nothing. I opened the gas cap and showed her what turning the key on without starting it was and told them to do it as i listened to the tank and heard nothing. listened to the driver side rear seat and could sort of hear the pump priming. Then i popped the hood and told them to start it and what do you know got a couple seconds of running motor. I had to make it idle at 1500 rpm by giving it gas for a bit, it idled, ran, decided to give it a shot to get it to my place.

(I wasn't driving it, but was following it) Super Unresponsive, driving at a slight up hill it would basically coast and not go but be floored, from what i was told, died at the top of one hill and they coasted into a neighbor hood, got it back to a forced idle until it could on its own.

no knocking, no CEL, no lights except for the TPMS light that came on 1 day after they bought it.

I'm leaning towards fuel pump and will get a fuel pressure gauge on it tomorrow and go for a cruise, can any one think of any thing else to check on this car other than that. i have a simple obdII scanner and can monitor short term fuel trims and other things but I don't know what I'm looking for or things to look at.

started right up today and could not replicate the symptoms

Fuel pressure results:

50 to 55 psi at all times idling with or without the fuel pressure regulator vac line connected.

thresholds that i found say:

41 to 46 psi w/ the vacuum hose disconnected

30 to 38psi W/ vacuum hose connected to fuel pressure regulator

what comes next does this suggest that the fuel pump relay is bad since its stuck at just one pressure? or the pump itself? if i keep running it like this i feel like i might burn up the pump.

I can't replicate the situation it hasn't died on me or lost power which makes me think its the pump I had a truck long ago that gave me this issue, the pump would only cut out and vehicle no started after you think it was just a fluke the first couple times. was real hard to diagnose until it completely died because of the inconsistent nature of it.

going for a gamble on a new fuel pump $250-300$ would be a hit if it didn't work.

50 to 55 psi at all times idling with or without the fuel pressure regulator vac line connected.

so the vac line i actually was disconnecting was a Canister Purge Control Solenoid Valve and not the fuel pressure regulator, which i can not find:spin:

It only has 2 lines going to the engine instead of the normal 3 i've always seen. I think it is the main feed from the pump, no return, and a purge for the tank, that has no gas, but no return i'll confirm that tomorrow it was super wet today, and i can only work outside.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s12/type_8/intake_and_supply_system_turbocharger/fuel_piping/illustration_1/

so i couldn't find any return line to check for clogs or fuel pressure regulator.

I'm defiantly not gonna gamble on a fuel pump if it's not one, might just get a cheapo inline fuel pressure gauge off amazon throw it where the #2 is in the diagram^^^^, and send it on its way so if it dies again the person driving just has to check that pressure and we can confirm it.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an up date:

Had the rented fuel pressure gauge on for 100 miles or so and never died, until I gave it back to the owner and within 10 miles it died again. they knocked it in neutral and were able to start it still rolling after 2 or 3 times but were unable to stare at the gauge in front of there face zip tied to the wiper blade arm, and see if in fact there was no pressure from the pump.

Now it hasn't died since, I have just and brass t fitting with a gauge on it I bought off amazon that leaked real bad, so i had to use gas approved tread tape CAREFULLY!!! to get it to seal in the engine bay. In case they are ever in a position to pull over and not panic to check it out.

Also found this great place in Denver called https://subierecycler.com/ and got a Fuel pump from them for 40$ + clutch petal rubbers they had lying around. They have a lot of 2002+to present wrecked and parted out cars

Archived