LegacyGT.com

Can I downsize to a 16" rim 4 winter tires

mfg

I got a 05 LGT and i'm trying to see if i can downsize my rims so that i don't have to spend so much on winter tires. I believe my stock rims are 215/65/r17

what's is the maximum tires size i can downsize without affect my ride. I got mix answers from the dealers, saying that i should NOT downsize cuz it will touch my brake calipers. Is that true? ANy help is appreicated..thx in advance

I got a 05 LGT and i'm trying to see if i can downsize my rims so that i don't have to spend so much on winter tires. I believe my stock rims are 215/65/r17

what's is the maximum tires size i can downsize without affect my ride. I got mix answers from the dealers, saying that i should NOT downsize cuz it will touch my brake calipers. Is that true? ANy help is appreicated..thx in advance

Yes it is true.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4426

note that 2.5i is the only model that can handle 16s because of the smaller brakes.

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/lol/sign_arnieFAQ.gif

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Damn..so i gotta buy 17" winter tires, it's going to be expensive, i dont' think they make steel rims for that size. It's so hard to find winter tires for that size. Do anyone know any brand that will fit that? thx.

Damn..so i gotta buy 17" winter tires, it's going to be expensive, i dont' think they make steel rims for that size. It's so hard to find winter tires for that size. Do anyone know any brand that will fit that? thx.

Not really.. they make plenty of very inexpensive 17" alloys that fit our cars

Check out http://www.tirerack.com and http://www.discounttire.com

not sure what the equivs in canada are..

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

I was trying to do the same thing as you originally and I was told otherwise. Sucks to have to spend the big money on the larger diameter winter tires. I am going to run my all seasons this year and then get some winters next year, potentially some new rims for summer too and if I feel really good some new summer treads to replace the stock ones. Use the stock rims as winter rims and I will be set.

YEAH MAN..might as well get some new rims. But my potenza runs so bad in the winter time. It just recently snow and i was slipping all over the place. therefore i MUST go and cough up some winter tires. what are some good brand tha will fit that size?

YEAH MAN..might as well get some new rims. But my potenza runs so bad in the winter time. It just recently snow and i was slipping all over the place. therefore i MUST go and cough up some winter tires. what are some good brand tha will fit that size?

Depending on where you are in Canada, look at Nokian WRs or RSIs, Blizzaks WS-50 or LM-22/25 or Dunlop M-3.

ok i check out some of the tires that i can find for my tires size and i came to these conclusion. Blizzaks ws-50, michelin pilot alpin PA2 or Nokian RSI. Which ones would u prefer and Y? thx

Of that list I'd probably go for the Nokian RSi, but it's probably largely due to personal bias. I've heard good things about M3's, and about Yokohama's and Toyo's, but I haven't checked to see what's available in 17". Do a quick check at www.tiretrends.com to get an idea of what's out there.

Another option for you: last year I bought some Hankook W300 in a 205/50/17 from Tire Trends (Canadian vendor, so CAD prices and no duty), which were great for the price ($150 shipped, and no PST if you're outside of BC). I wouldn't have minded at all if they'd been narrower than stock, but as it turns out I think they're darn near identical. Maybe I'll measure them sometime and update. They're V-rated in case I feel like going 240km/h on snow...

Andy

215/45/17

205/50/17

225/45/17

These will all work...you'll find the 205 and 225 sizes are more plentiful in choice, however I wnet with stock 215/45/15 in a Dunlop Graspic DS2.

I got Motegi MR7's for 109 Canadian each.....you can get cheap alloys for winter.

its best to stick to stock size rims/tires since the odometer could get messed up if you dont reprogram the computer for the different tire size. a lot of people dont realize how much it can mess up the car. at work i see at least 1 or 2 escaldes (some devilles as well from the "thugs" that think they are pimps with 20s on a sedan) a month come in because they put on huge rims/tires and didnt calibrate the computer for the larger tire/rim.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

Archived