LegacyGT.com

JDM BM9 LGT ECU compatibility query

I say you get a spare ECU asap as well in case an issue happens again in the future and you're not without a car. I was lucky and overnighted it on a Weds and had it back Friday afternoon and running again.
Yes.... I want to do that without fail. I'm not willing to face the same prblm again....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It might, no one on here can know for sure, nor will Subaru.

To know for sure, either:

a. test bench re-flashing and report back.

b. track down the Denso team that sold or supported these older 32bit ECUs when they pitched them to Subaru (likely early to mid 2000s) and got them to sign a long term contract to use in their cars from 2006/7-2013/14.

Johari's JDM ECU (Aug 2012 Legacy GT BM9 EJ255 Turbo + 5EAT) images attached for reference:

3d3fed7b674a42657f8d5cfa2dc8aef8.thumb.jpg.2b594982e17af25ca19a0e8b1b863345.jpg

7a1a57fb8865d2a9d317aba9b642a711.thumb.jpg.ea3e7e4636a666a7ec5284a8b3d6ed20.jpg

6b88211d56e18bd95a70d0a1062e36d7.thumb.jpg.b185df156ee627f536e443f079e444b8.jpg

a4117268ae8c6943ed8b337e3eac0b91.thumb.jpg.83b93066cbad0ec7ec32d62eaf7e36d5.jpg

5105c787b47a4eda866183a1b1145c39.thumb.jpg.6a56f688703d86ac5da3b9812141b8e5.jpg

222c1aa96feca7fd81273d3f791cd267.thumb.jpg.4172ad03ed4a6353f5648f5b57425978.jpg

224b8e7f85e6a91b4a25637822fc2168.thumb.jpg.cf352607c29aabdb4be2fb71d98e3c30.jpg

Lets try with your 2011 USDM Legacy 3.6R 5EAT Denso ECU 22765AA06A first & see how it goes... :-)

It might, no one on here can know for sure, nor will Subaru.

To know for sure, either:

a. test bench reflashing and report back.

b. track down the Denso team that sold or supported these older 32bit ECUs when they pitched them to Subaru (likely early to mid 2000s) and got them to sign a long term contract to use in their cars from 2006/7-2013/14.

Looks to me like the ECU overall is a match - same main chip, same circuit board layout and labeling. etc

What is different (spotted thus far) are the 2 missing chips on the USDM ECU vs yours at position: IC703 and IC704

and some of the pins at CN401 soldered on yours vs USDM all not soldered.

This could be a deal-breaker - not sure what those little chips are used for, but they are clearly missing from the USDM ECU,

just the solder sockets are there in the same place.

Yours also has F2 231 stamps on the connector, while USDM has F1 248 stamps.

Might be an indicator of function set or something that helps Denso tell the board config apart.

Also interesting to see your ECU has very little protective spray film applied.

In many places, its just a raw board with chips as if installed in a computer or anywhere not exposed to any elements

(guess its not on a Legacy since the ECU lives under the dash, not in the engine bay - like the TCU).

It may also be that the 2012-2014 USDM ECUs do have those two chips.

Might have something to do with the newer BIUs or Eyesight support, etc.

Only way to know is if someone on here had a 2012+ USDM Legacy/Outback ECU and opened it up to check, document.

I would bet Tactrix bros will say the main ECU ROM will flash over just fine (most probably) but the ECU as a whole may not fully function to support your car

(the missing chips). I'd pass on using this backup if I were you.

Get them to ship your ECU back and search for one that has the same chips as yours across APAC.

I think given what we see here, chances are so long as its a 2012+ non-USDM Legacy/Outback/Liberty ECU - it should be a better match

even if the part numbers differ a LOT.

Looks to me like the ECU overall is a match - same main chip, same circuit board layout and labeling. etc

What is different (spotted thus far) are the 2 missing chips on the USDM ECU vs yours at position: IC703 and IC704

and some of the pins at CN401 soldered on yours vs USDM all not soldered.

This could be a deal-breaker - not sure what those little chips are used for, but they are clearly missing from the USDM ECU,

just the solder sockets are there in the same place.

Yours also has F2 231 stamps on the connector, while USDM has F1 248 stamps.

Might be an indicator of function set or something that helps Denso tell the board config apart.

Also interesting to see your ECU has very little protective spray film applied.

In many places, its just a raw board with chips as if installed in a computer or anywhere not exposed to any elements

(guess its not on a Legacy since the ECU lives under the dash, not in the engine bay - like the TCU).

It may also be that the 2012-2014 USDM ECUs do have those two chips.

Might have something to do with the newer BIUs or Eyesight support, etc.

Only way to know is if someone on here had a 2012+ USDM Legacy/Outback ECU and opened it up to check, document.

I would bet Tactrix bros will say the main ECU ROM will flash over just fine (most probably) but the ECU as a whole may not fully function to support your car

(the missing chips). I'd pass on using this backup if I were you.

Get them to ship your ECU back and search for one that has the same chips as yours across APAC.

I think given what we see here, chances are so long as its a 2012+ non-USDM Legacy/Outback/Liberty ECU - it should be a better match

even if the part numbers differ a LOT.

Thanks for your update... Ok, now I decide to postpone for my SPARE ECU matter. I already ask Tactrix to give me bill & send my ECU.

Its time to get my car running & hold on with my tuning journey until I solve my SPARE ECU.

anyway thank you very much.. really appreciate every single effort & posting respond from yourself & everyone in this thread.

I will update once my car up & running & continue with the SPARE ECU hunting :-)

I post a tread at liberty Australia forum regarding my Denso ECU 22765AF300 as per link below:

http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35658

Someone has guide me towards the right direction. Found out that, from my VIN detail, my car is from Europe Market not JDM.

See link below:

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/vehicle?c=Subaru+Europe&ssd=%24%2ANCUJeklQcFtgc1MOElhMbGt1BAsGBxUMOQoGBEtEc35wWic0C3hiBnZ0BAdSUU4HAAAAAOgc05I%24&vid=850&q=JF1BM9KV3DG019475

1260481578_Screenshotof22675AF300ECUunderEuropeModel02.thumb.JPG.c8a14c386587035e14b9f6e16560a343.JPG

OK, good progress. It doesnt really matter all that much, EU spec Subarus, especially Legacy/Liberty, Outbacks are manufactured in Japan either way. Just like the Aussie ones.

So are the ones shipped and sold in Central and South American markets.

Finding a spare ECU should just be a matter of time now.

• 1 month later...

My car is running since about a month ago after receiving my ECU from Tactrix. I found offer for used ECU that compatible with my car. I plan to make this ECU as my spare & ready to plug & play in case I brick it again. My question is, upon getting this ECU bench flash with my car ROM. If I send my car to Subaru Dealership & pair it with keyless immobiliser. Will it work with the original ECU?

I asking this because someone who work as a Senior Tech Service Manager in one of Subaru Dealership in my country who happen to be a Subaru fan & mechanic & a casual track & rally racer. He told me, during the process of pairing. The existing immobiliser code will be deleted & new code will be used.

Thus if I swap with original ECU it will not work.

Is this true?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

I am thinking the only way to get what you are asking for would be to have the ECU in your car cloned to the spare, which may or may not be possible. Have you asked tactrix about it?

When the immobilizer is programmed I believe it is programmed to the ecu and gauge cluster, so you would have to have it reprogrammed to swap the ecu no matter what.

I am thinking the only way to get what you are asking for would be to have the ECU in your car cloned to the spare, which may or may not be possible. Have you asked tactrix about it?

When the immobilizer is programmed I believe it is programmed to the ecu and gauge cluster, so you would have to have it reprogrammed to swap the ecu no matter what.

Yes indeed I ask Tactrix about this & the option I have is either swap the immobiliser chip or get subaru dealership to do immobiliser pairing with the replacement ECU.

What I want to find out here, if the replacement ECU paired with car immobiliser.

The original ECU will work or not?

Yes indeed I ask Tactrix about this & the option I have is either swap the immobiliser chip or get subaru dealership to do immobiliser pairing with the replacement ECU.

What I want to find out here, if the replacement ECU paired with car immobiliser.

The original ECU will work or not?

No it will not. You would need to have a spare immobilizer, gauge cluster, and ECU together. Then it would just be plug and play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No it will not. You would need to have a spare immobilizer, gauge cluster, and ECU together. Then it would just be plug and play.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ok got that.... so the only solution left is swap immobilizer chip.... thanks a lot on confirming this.....

Archived