LegacyGT.com

Time to Fight the Stink

Postman

Postman- I agree, I have a 5eat and the car smells like burnt something.... not quite plastic and not quite metal. Dealer said it was from the cosmolene burning off the undercarriage. 5800 miles now and still get it when its driven hard/semi hard. I have sent an official complaint to SOA and am awaiting a reply. I will keep you posted...

• 3 weeks later...

I still get this smell and its strong at times! Usually when Im excellerating hard in 4th or 5th, usually not to much smell in the lower gears. I have also noticed the faint oil smell in the cabin, this happenes once the car is warm and has been driven a few miles, stop for coffee or whatever leave the car idleing when I come back I can smell a faint oil smell in the car, goes away once I start driving. I have only really noticed this since its been cold though...

John D.

I noticed it more when I first bought the car as well... but just the other day I did a little launch, nothing to harsh, just for fun since I hadn't in a while, and it stank for soooo long - I was really blown away by how strong and how long it stank for. I'm curious if the issue people are having is just when they ride the clutch on accident or launch, or if it's happening during everyday driving...??

Weston

+1

Did a semi-hard launch over Thanksgiving, clutch/tranny/engine seemed to hover at 6K WITHOUT the car moving forward!? Pushed clutch back in, re-engaged 1st and slowly, carefully pulled away. But, MAJOR stink for at least two days...and now the clutch/engagement seems looser and much further off the floor than prior. BTW, the car has been babied for 21K miles with this being literally the first aggressive lauch ever. WTF?

built in protection for people who abuse their cars. it's supposed to do that. Can't drop the clutch in this car.

Ahem.

It's 'supposed to do' what exactly? Be the 1st car we've ever owned do behave in such a way, Mr. Horsepower-Sunday Driver-Kinda Guy?

• 3 years later...
Thanks for posting about the smell issues in the car, mine however subsided around 25000 miles. Still completely ridiculous that it took that long for the "undercoating" fumes to go away, its supposed to be a brand new car. I will never be buying subaru again..... suspension sucks, bad fumes, cooler does not get cold enough, turbo lag, remote entry sucks, as well as othe minor issues. Problems that create on the whole, a crappy vehicle. Just my humble opinion......

Respek....What?!?

Ok first of all you listed you have an Outback. Of course the suspension is soft and you get body roll...that's why it's an Outback.

Secondly, you bought a turbocharged vehicle thinking it will have no lag?

Third, how does the remote entry suck?

Lastly, we know about the clutch stink. This thread is 4 years old!

Archived