LegacyGT.com

02 GT Automatic Tans, replacement questions

I've been putting of getting this car back on the road for too long and it's time to pull the trigger. So long story short, the trans was leaking and I tried replacing the front diff bearing support cap thing. I counted the exact amount of turns it took to remove the old one when putting the new one back in but I still had problems, and after a few hundred miles the trans took a crap.

I got a cheap used transmission (~$280) that had the same # on the ID plate. Installed the transmission and had problems from the gate. Shift indicators on the dash wouldn't light up, trans wouldn't downshift when selecting different gears, and if i\I remember correctly there was a whining sound coming from the trans. So that trans lasted about a week before it started sounded like a bunch of marbles and took a shit too.

One of my main questions is if the rear diff could have been damaged from when the original trans broke. My thoughts were; either I got a junk used transmission, or something else on the car caused the replacement to fail. I don't want to get another used transmission and have the same thing happen, it's time to get this puppy back on the road. Any ideas or tips on what to look for?

I thought about just swapping the car to a manual, but don't really wanna deal with the headache of swapping the driveshaft and rear diff and all that other junk. Thanks in advance!

Archived