LegacyGT.com

Apple CarPlay

Sorry if this has been asked before. I really want to use Apple CarPlay but as you know the 15' model doesn't come with it. Will the OEM 18' infotainment fit in the 15'? Most imortantly will everything still work correctly?

I've looked into doing aftermarket but if I want top of the line, I have to use an external micphone and my OCD won't be able to handle that. lol Thanks in advance.

Hey there,

The head unit is part number 86471AL65A and about $2000. I would suggest to go with a third party unit just in case that one won't work on your car.

Crutchfield has some great unit that have CarPlay and Navigation in it. They also offer a brace that fits it to look as OEM as possible.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DNX874S/Kenwood-DNX874S.html?tp=20222

I also found this one but it looks eh.

https://www.canavie.com/104-android-601-headunit-autoradio-head-unit-car-stereo-gps-for-subaru-outback-legacy-2017-2018-p862817.html

Hmm. If you're doing this just to get CarPlay I'm not sure I'd bother given the expense. There's really not a whole lot you can do with CarPlay that you can't do without it. One big drawback is you can't access the onboard voice recognition when CarPlay is active and that's a problem. I've pretty much stopped using it because of this limitation. Without CarPlay you can reach both Subaru and Siri voice systems. With it on, just Siri. I have no idea why it works this way but it is what it is.

I called Subaru and it turns out that I can't use the 18' OEM head unit. Just wish I could use an aftermarket replacement and wouldn't have to use an external microphone. Time to find the parts to use existing USB and Aux inputs with aftermarket radio and how to position the external mic where the exisiting one is?

Archived