LegacyGT.com

Question about sway bars.

I'm looking for sway bars for my 05 Legacy 2.5i sedan, and whatever I find says it fits for the GT but doesn't specify if it fits for the 2.5i. Will the GT sway bars still be compatible with 2.5i, and if not, what are your suggestions?

Talk to this guy about brackets & bushings: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/65-parts-accessories-performance/458146-subaru-specialty-products-tdck-cke-ssp.html

He has posts on here as well: https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/suspension-brakes-115.html and the reinforcement bracket-specific one: https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/cke-ssp-rear-sway-bar-reinforcement-brackets-267057.html

His brackets are as good (or better) than AVO and less expensive, and you have color options if you want them.

He also makes custom bushings for front & rear sway bars in any size, varying hardnesses, and has color options if that's your thing.

Lastly, he makes EAT/CVT transmission mount inserts (probably MT as well but I don't pay much attention to that stuff).

I've used most of his stuff on my 2005 OBW and the improvements were noticeable and in the case of the 5EAT insert, significantly better. I just bought a 2009 Outback 3.0R Limited and will soon be installing CKE SSP front & rear bushings, a slightly larger RSB (OEM LGT 16mm vs. stock OB 15mm) with CKE SSP reinforcement brackets, and the 5EAT insert. I got a good deal from him for being a repeat customer, as well, so the cost was really low.

Plus, you're supporting a member of the community with your $$.

Curious as to why you don't recommend a front sway bar? Wouldn't it be best to upgrade the front bar as well so the handling remains balanced?
"Remains balanced?" That's a good one.

The stock FSB is adequate. The stock RSB is not. Upgrading the RSB balances them.

"Remains balanced?" That's a good one.

The stock FSB is adequate. The stock RSB is not. Upgrading the RSB balances them.

Apologies - I'm pretty new to car modifications so I've just been going off what other people say on here. In the NA section there have been lots of recommendations for using the Tribeca 25mm FSB along with an aftermarket LGT RSB on the 2.5i. Is it common for LGT owners also to only upgrade their RSB while leaving the FSB stock, or is it 2.5i specific?

Relative is correct, the rear sway is what you want to change first to reduce understeer that is innate to the legacy. Upgrading both front and rear would result with similar understeer but total reduced body roll. I would imagine this would be the same for gt and 2.5i versions.

Start with the rear and make sure you upgrade the bracket with something that can handle the added stress

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It is about balance. You can balance an LGT with the proper size front and rear sway bar, although the proper sizes are no longer available new. When you could easily buy the proper sizes, a front and rear matched set up was the number 1 suspension upgrade. It made a bigger difference than coil overs.

With the power out put of a 2.5i upgrading just the rear works fine. Once again, you wont find the proper front and rear matched set for "neutral" handling new anymore. Plus, there was far less support for the 2.5i to begin with.

Upgrade the rear and the mounts (attached to subframe) and enjoy. The steering will be more neutral and you will eliminate some of the body roll.

It is about balance. You can balance an LGT with the proper size front and rear sway bar, although the proper sizes are no longer available new. When you could easily buy the proper sizes, a front and rear matched set up was the number 1 suspension upgrade. It made a bigger difference than coil overs.

With the power out put of a 2.5i upgrading just the rear works fine. Once again, you wont find the proper front and rear matched set for "neutral" handling new anymore. Plus, there was far less support for the 2.5i to begin with.

Upgrade the rear and the mounts (attached to subframe) and enjoy. The steering will be more neutral and you will eliminate some of the body roll.

What were the proper sizes for the front and rear Mike?

Archived