LegacyGT.com

2016 Legacy A/C cool but not cold

Repairs needed as a result of using the wrong refrigerant are not covered under warranty.[/i]

Took me by surprise I must say...

I was just wondering if you heard that through the grapevine????

It took me by surprise I must say

When I found out yesterday

Don't you know that I heard it through the grapevine

From the Owner's Manual:

Repairs needed as a result of using the wrong refrigerant are not covered under warranty.

Federal regulations have always required different, incompatible service fittings for each refrigerant type. Repair facilities are also required to have different service equipment for each type.

R134a is relatively benign with respect to the stratospheric ozone layer, but it is a very potent greenhouse gas ... approximately 1,400 times the greenhouse potential of CO2 ... which is one reason why it's being phased out. Another reason is that R134a is off-patent, so it's no longer as profitable as it used to be.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Yep different fitting for different refrigerant. Maybe I'll just go full out propane? The link isn't for cars but when 12 was being phased out I remember there were people on sites that discussed the possibility of propane use in cars. If I remember there may have even been some instances of people who did it. One time I retrofitted a Ford van into a dual fuel vehicle. At the flip of a switch I could run on propane or gasoline. There was a big propane tank hanging off the rear of the van.

Will this refrigerant be the golden key or in 5 years will we be told it is the culprit for rising oceans.

https://bpnews.com/index.php/publications/magazine/current-issue/1229-propane-as-a-refrigerant-what-s-not-to-love

Federal regulations have always required different, incompatible service fittings for each refrigerant type. Repair facilities are also required to have different service equipment for each type.

R134a is relatively benign with respect to the stratospheric ozone layer, but it is a very potent greenhouse gas ... approximately 1,400 times the greenhouse potential of CO2 ... which is why it's being phased out.

Archived