LegacyGT.com

Aluminium and Hail

Aluminum will dent easier, but if it's large enough hail to show dents in the aluminum, you'd probably see it to at least some extent also in steel. Difference... steel can be fixed, aluminum, so far I don't think they've figured out a good method of fixing it.

No particular direction for me. I play army ball, left-right-left-right (what can I say, I paid for the course, I want to see the whole thing! :D) Back to your regularly scheduled programming: .....Hail and Aluminum

From the responses here I am more than a little concerned about the use of Aluminium. It certainly makes me pause and think about whether to buy a car with aluminum. The rest of you guys don't seem so concerned? After the unusual weather here in Melbourne earlier this year/last year (can't remember when it was) I'm very worried about this. Does insurance cover hail damage? I need to check my insurer.

Just curious why this is such a concern for you. All domestically made vehicles in Oz have alum everything. My question is, surely WA doesnt get heaps of hail compaired to the rest of the world. At the end of the day any hail damage that is caused to your car can be claimed back on insurance, I am more than sure that this aspect will be covered. This reason really shouldnt be holding you back from making a decision to buy a car. Let us know what the outcome is. Best of Luck Mark Adam

I'm not any more concerned about aluminum than when I didn't have aluminum. Like I said, if it's going to show in aluminum, it's probably big enough to make it noticeable in steel too as the steel gauge is probably lighter than the aluminum and it all works out.

Hi all, New member with my first post here. :) For what it's worth, I have a 1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with the aluminum hood option that has seen it's fair share of hail storms in it's many years. I've never seen any indication that the aluminum hood was any "weaker" than any other part of the car. I wouldn't necessarily be worried about having the aluminum hood on these cars either. I'm not an expert, but it seems that many aluminum production parts are nearly as strong (stronger?) as their steel counterparts. :)

[quote name='eamiller']It's called Comprehensive insurance, and it's usually pretty cheap. Get a policy with a low comprehensive deductible, and you won't have anything to worry about.[/quote] That is definitely the way to go. Peace of mind that, if it DOES get damaged, it's paid for.

Welcome to the site Trent and great comments too. I have to agree totally. And also agree with Brady and eamiller, it makes total sense and if it gets damaged, well get it fixed, thats why u pay insurance. And besides why would u buy a car that is AUD50K+ / USD30K + without insurance anyway?

Of course full insurance will be used. It's just a hassle. Anyway I have decided that the Al. parts will not be a deciding factor for me. No wwill it be 2.5NA, 3.0R or GT :?:

I didn't miss the 3.0R SpecB. I want an automatic, to my knowledge the 3.0R SpecB is 6 speed manual only. I did see one at Doncaster (wagon) and it looked fantastic with the 18" wheels. If I had the money now I would seriously consider the GT at Docklands. My patience is running out... where can I find 10K :?: any :idea: :)

Yeah the Spec B only comes in 6MT which is fantastic. Im so happy that Oz was picked for the 6MT first along with the JDM and NZ markets. The car looks amazing as you have said also Mark. What colour is the one @ Donny? Yeah the 2nd hand one on the lot looks pretty good, unsure how it has been looked after but Im sure there isnt too much you can do to destroy them so to speak. Have you had a test drive as of yet? That may give you some of the answers that you are looking for. The best of luck Adam. P.S Let me know if you need a contact at Docklands, have a few good ones there, not sure if I have asked you this before or not.

Adam, I'm pretty sure the 3.0R-B was Silver, possibly white. I can check on the weekend if you want. As for a test drive, I have not driven any subaru, ever. I don't want to test drive one until I am financially ready. The only other cars that I have driven besides my current car is my wifes Lancer and my dads EL XR6. Thanks for the contact at Docklands offer, when the time comes I will let you know. :)

Archived